SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#101821 - 07/23/03 12:24 PM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by YamahaUS1:
It was not a mistake, it was a 'design' decision.

Steve: No offense, but I suspect you are merely covering up for Yamaha's error here. I'm 'not' convinced this was a conscious Yamaha design 'decision', and still think it was just an unintential oversight on Yamaha's part. As 'dlstarry' clearly pointed out, why on earth would Yamaha intentionally remove it on the Tyros, yet continue to implement it on the newest PSR2100 model? I challenge you to give ONE good reason for Yamaha to have intentially removed this critical element of the foot pedal activated: 'fill self' feature.

Quote:
I can tell you that with so little interest from existing and potential Tyros customers, this is not likely to happen, unless it's real easy to slip it in with something that is already in the works.

I believe the amount (or lack of) interest has more to do with the fact that most people here may not even be familiar with (or aware of) the 'fill self' via footpedal feature, or the beneifits it provides to LIVE performance arranger keyboard playing, so think it's unfair for you to base 'how you deal with this' on interest alone.

I'm quite certain that adding the 'continously repeating fill' feature to 'fill self' can be easily implemented via a Tyros OS software update. As a PSR2000 owner as well, my chief complaint with that keyboard is that it's not flash rom OS upgradeable. I had hoped with my purchase of the Yamaha flagship model Tyros (which does include a flash rom-able OS), that it would allow me to easily upgrade the OS, to include bux fixes & OS enhancements, and to which this 'very issue' involves.

I really hope this isn't the end of the road to this Tyros issue and hope that you will seriously re-evaluate the importance of re-implementing the 'continously repeating fill' feature to the 'fill self' remote footpedal function.

I have stood by Yamaha as a loyal customer for a long time , but how Yamaha resolves this issue will most definitely impact my decision to what brand arranger keyboard I purchase in the future.

Respectfully,

Scott Yee

#101822 - 07/23/03 01:22 PM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
trtjazz Offline

Scott,
I use my MFC 10 for this feaure and it supports the repeating fill self. So for me, not using seperate pedals it is not a feature I really need in an o/s update.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#101823 - 07/23/03 01:51 PM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Scott, I've gone and registered on the site so I could support you

There is surely a simple solution to this. Instead of changing the behaviour of Fill Self, why not add Fill Self (Continuous) to the Pedal Function list. There are over 40 different functions in here. Another one wouldn't hurt. Given that this feature already exists on other models, the code should already be available and be fairly easy to port.

Come on Yamaha, show that you care about your customers and sort this out.

Paul.

P.S. While we're on, could we have an mp3 player and web browser in the next OS upgrade Well, it was worth a go!!!

#101824 - 07/23/03 02:23 PM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by trtjazz:
Scott,
I use my MFC 10 for this feaure and it supports the repeating fill self. So for me, not using seperate pedals it is not a feature I really need in an o/s update.
Terry

Terry: For those like yourself who already own a MFC10 footcontroller unit, that's fine, but for those who can't afford one ($260 US dollars street price) , or don't want to have to lug around (back and forth to gigs) such a large bulky (W x D x H): 24 x 8 1/4 x 2 1/4 inches, & heavy (over 7 lbs, 11 oz (3.52 kg)) unit, this is not a viable option. In fact I sold my MFC10 recently because of it's cumbersome weight.

Terry, I think you're missing my point here.
A simple inexpensive 'single foot pedal' connected to a Yamaha PSR9000, 9000pro, PSR2000, or PSR2100, DOES already support the continously repeating 'fill to self' feature, so I'd expect it should work on the Tyros the same way. Yamaha is certainly able to correct this with a simple OS update, but Steve Deming (Yamaha USA) insists that he needs to garner more interest from other Tyros owners (or potential owners) before pushing for a bug fix. I hope Yamaha doesn't drop the ball on this one.

Paul (ptumelty),Denny (dlstarry), Larry (Beakybird), Al (kbrkr) & Mike (Idatrod): MANY thanks for your support on this issue. I only wished there were more people here willing to 'stick their neck out' in support of this as well.

Scott

#101825 - 07/23/03 02:40 PM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
trtjazz Offline

Scott,

Wow! "or don't want to have to lug around (back and forth to gigs) such a large bulky (W x D x H): 24 x 8 1/4 x 2 1/4 inches, & heavy (over 7 lbs, 11 oz (3.52 kg)) unit, this is not a viable option"

I didn't realize this thing weighed that much, you're right, Yamaha needs to upgrade the o/s before you guys that are out giggin' all the time get a hernia.

I do think it should be available though, especially since it is in place on the other Yammys.

Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 07-23-2003).]

#101826 - 07/23/03 02:48 PM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
I am with Scott on this one also, this is an ESSENTIAL fix that should be implemented in the next or at least near future OS updates for the Yamaha Tyros.

Regards
Dr Simon Williams
SVPworld

------------------

forum.svpworld.com - No adverts, No spam, No nonsense!
share your music, get help and advice, make new friends! All platforms invited!!

#101827 - 07/23/03 03:20 PM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
While I have just started using Fill To Self on my PSR2000 (thanks to learning about it here on the forum), I can't imagine the "New & Improved" models not having this feature.

#101828 - 07/23/03 07:42 PM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
Joe Waters Offline

Loc: Sterling, VA USA
I had not tried this feature yet, but I have now and can confirm Beaky's report that it does, indeed, work on the PSR-2100. In fact, not only does "Fill Self" work, but so, too, does "Fill Down", "Fill Up", and "Fill Break". Using "Fill Up", for example, pressing on the foot pedal plays the fill as it moves from variation A to B (or B to C or C to D or D to A). Continuing to hold the pedal down moves up to the next variation and continues to play the fill until the pedal is released. This certainly is a neat feature and, after I add a "lesson" on how to utilize these "fills", a lot more people will discover it and be happy they did. Well, not everybody. The Tyros owners will have to await the delivery of the next OS upgrade when this "feature" can be added to the Tyros keyboards.

#101829 - 07/23/03 08:27 PM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Scott,

It was not a mistake, it was a design decision. I have already passed along your comments, but from past experience, I can tell you that with so little interest from existing and potential Tyros customers, this is not likely to happen, unless it's real easy to slip it in with something that is already in the works.

Why wouldn't I EXPECT every excisting feature in the 2000, 2100, and or 9000 to be in the flagship professional keyboard? I am looking very hard at moving up to a Tyros and was under the impression that there would be updates to correct design mistakes. If this is not going to be the case maybe I need to reconsider my future keyboard. Already, I'm not sure I want to move up as you left the sampler from the 9000 out. I realize not everyone uses every feature on these monster keyboards. I know many synths are returned for repair and not a single voice has been changed. I would ask though are the top of the line keyboards made for the mass's or for the few that play them professionally which gets the mass's insterested. The Professional want's and NEEDS every single feature he can get. I guess it comes down to wether Yamaha can change there mindset and realize that the top of the line arranger keyboards are really going to be used more and more by serious musicicans and they are going to demand more and more professional features.

#101830 - 07/24/03 09:34 AM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
Anonymous
Unregistered

I join to the voice of Scott and others that agree that this feature should be implemented asap! I also have a personal interest, 'cause I just bought my brand new Tyros

-- José

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online