SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#101486 - 11/25/01 11:06 AM Finally got: MFC10 (Multi pedal midi Foot Controller) for the PSR2000!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I just got a Yamaha MFC10 (10 pedal) midi foot controller unit to use with my Yamaha PSR2000. Programing the MFC10 to trigger basic arranger functions was a cinch. The MFC10 allows you to trigger just about any midi command function (program change, control change, basic arranger functions to up to 90 (10 banks of 10) custom foot controller pedal assignments.

I programmed the first bank of MFC10 foot pedals (10) to trigger: intro 1 & 2, Main A,B,C, and D (with fills), Ending 1 & 2, and start & stop. There is also a volume pedal included as part of the rather large (24" x 8-1/2" x 1-1/2") MFC10 unit as well. Since I rarely (if ever) use a volume pedal, I would have prefered that the large volume pedal wasn't built into the MFC10, as it would have greatly reduced the size & weight (7-3/4 lbs/3.52 kg) of the unit.

Unfortunately, the MFC10's rather large size prevents me from using it with my standard X type Quik-lok stand because the stand's X cross braces prevents easy access to all of the pedals. Because of this, I'm now looking for a new keyboard stand which will allow me to use the MFC10 while performing (when playing sitting or standing).

The Yamaha PSR2000, disappointingly, does not include midi (SYSex) support for it's 'multi-pad' buttons (4), 'one touch' buttons (4), or any of the eight 'registration memory' buttons. If it did, one would be able to trigger these buttons remotely from the MFC10 foot controller. Having the ability to trigger these buttons (especially the multi-pads) via foot pedals is a greatly needed feature as mulitpads triggered live during a song really brings added realism and spontaneity. Trying to trigger these multipads with your finger, while playing the keyboard with two hands in a pianistic fashion, is very awkward, if not impossible. The best solution is for Yamaha to incorporate a din socket to support a multiple (4-6 pedal) foot controller unit, but I guess that can't be done without a hardware upgrade. The next best thing (and probably the easiest to do via software OS upgrade) is to implement SYSex support for these buttons. Yamaha could develop a MFC10 template of these SYSex commands which could then be sent from the 2000 (via PSR2000 midi menu screen) to the MFC10 (much like the PSR9000 already has).

Ok, I guess it's time to go shopping for a new portable (relatively lightweight) keyboard stand now (buying add on's never ends, does it? I need a keyboard stand which allows sufficient floor room for convenient placement of the MFC10 + additional damper pedal too. Here are some possibilities which I've been considering:

Ultimate 'Apex PLUS' (AX-48BP), includes mic boom : http://www.ultimatesupport.com/APEXMIC.HTM

Ultimate Deltex (DX-48B):
http://www.ultimatesupport.com/DELTEX2.HTM

Quicklok Monolith (model M-91):
http://www.quiklok.com/search_list.taf?_function=detail&Layout_0_uid1=33262

Anybody have any experience/feedback regarding any of these keyboard stands or have other recommendations? - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 11-25-2001).]

#101487 - 11/25/01 02:41 PM Re: Finally got: MFC10 (Multi pedal midi Foot Controller) for the PSR2000!
notlos Offline

Loc: Belgium
Hi Scott,
I use for several years the keyboardstand
k&m type 18950 (i'm not sure about the type).
This stand is exelent for keyboardplayers who use pedalboards or multiswitch that not are usable with a quicklock-stand. This stand is also changeable in every position(higher or lower size) and on option the extensions for second keyboard (also variabel in different positions)
Greetings Notlos. http://www.mp3.com/dirkbaert

------------------

#101488 - 11/25/01 03:29 PM Re: Finally got: MFC10 (Multi pedal midi Foot Controller) for the PSR2000!
Scottyee Offline

I just got back from my local music store with a Quik-Lok Monolith (M-91) keyboard stand. Luckily I was able to compare it (side by side) with the Ultimate Apex, Deltex, and some other type keyboard stands (including one similar to the K&M stand that you mentioned, Notlos. thanks!

I had considered the Ultimate Apex PLUS because it also includes a built in mic boom, but decided against it because I thought it might look a little weird on stage (from the audience POV) with the singular center column sticking up and blocking my head, if played when seated.

The Quik-lok Monolith stand is a relatively new model, http://www.guitar.com/news/shownews.asp?newsID=591
and is quite innovatively designed, because its' legs can quickly & easily be folded up to make the stand a completely FLAT thin surface, thus taking up very LITTLE space in the trunk of the car. The bottom (tubed portion) of the stand then becomes a convenient carrying handle. The stand also allows you to easily change the keyboard height from sitting to standing and all points in between. Oh yeah, I forgot about the initial reason I was looking for a new keyboard stand in the first place: There is total clearance & lots of space under the keyboard now for the MFC10 foot controller unit and my 2 other single pedals as well.

#101489 - 11/25/01 04:00 PM Re: Finally got: MFC10 (Multi pedal midi Foot Controller) for the PSR2000!
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Scott,
you have to hire a Octopus to handle all
those pedals.
I asume you still have only two legs, or???
GJ

[This message has been edited by Gunnar Jonny (edited 11-25-2001).]
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#101490 - 11/25/01 04:50 PM Re: Finally got: MFC10 (Multi pedal midi Foot Controller) for the PSR2000!
Scottyee Offline

yeah, quite a feat huh? I mean feet (two) !

Seriosuly, I'll probably reserve the MFC10 foot controller rig for the bigger gig venues. I must admit that I'm quickly becoming spoiled by it though, as it's alot easier to trigger the arranger functions from foot pedals than having to move a finger (and hand) from the keyboard, if even for an instant to hit the appropriate button(s). The result is a smoother sounding transition.

#101491 - 11/25/01 05:16 PM Re: Finally got: MFC10 (Multi pedal midi Foot Controller) for the PSR2000!
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Yes, it's OK to use footcontollers.
Solton have a big pedalset too, 13 I think
it was.
Looked into it when I was thinking of a X4 as
a addon to the KN5000.
But you know, I'm getting older, and struggle
to count higher that 3, so......
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#101492 - 11/25/01 07:11 PM Re: Finally got: MFC10 (Multi pedal midi Foot Controller) for the PSR2000!
Beakybird Offline

Congratulations, Scott on the foot controller. So you can control specific intros with the MFC10. Yamaha told me that you can't. Maybe I'll get one at some point, but I'll have to shop around for keyboard stands as well. Is the keyboard stand you settled on as easy to setup?

Larry

#101493 - 11/26/01 02:27 AM Re: Finally got: MFC10 (Multi pedal midi Foot Controller) for the PSR2000!
Scottyee Offline

Yep, the MFC10 allows you to assign/control 'specific' intros/endings to different pedals. The Quik-lok 'Monolith stand virtually requires no setup. It's basically a one piece unit and legs fold open in just a few seconds. To transport/store, the legs fold inwards to create a totally 'flat' unit (1-1/4" thick) which takes up very little space when transporting. A very well designed stable (absolutely no keyboard bounce) unit which will hold up to 200 lbs, but relatively easy to transport (23 lbs).

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online