SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#101449 - 02/17/02 01:31 PM Possible idea to improve Multi Pads
MarcK Offline

In general, I find the Multi Pads on the PSR 2000 to be quite useful. However, I think there is an easy way for Yamaha to improve the functionality of this feature: There should be an option to sychronize the pad start to the next beat or the next measure of the style beat. I think there could be three useful options in this regard:
1. No synchronization (as in PSR 2000)
2. Sync to next beat (i.e. if you hit the pad between beats 2 and 3, it should start on 3)
3. Sync to next measure (i.e. whenever you hit the pad, it will start with the beginning of the next measure)

What do you think? Would this be useful? Frankly, I'm surprised Yamaha hasn't thought of this yet! Or maybe they have, and just need to "save up" new features for future models.
If anyone from Yamaha is reading this (I know you're out there ), I'd like to suggest implementing this option on future PSR's.

#101450 - 02/17/02 01:38 PM Re: Possible idea to improve Multi Pads
Anonymous
Unregistered

Marck...

I love the fact that the looping multi pads do sync to the top of a measure if I miss hitting the button at the right time. (In some cases it takes 2 measures to corect, but it will sync.)On the un-looped measures, I really prefer they react when I hit them, such as apreg. or twinkle.

Eddie

#101451 - 02/17/02 01:41 PM Re: Possible idea to improve Multi Pads
MarcK Offline

They do???

#101452 - 02/17/02 03:06 PM Re: Possible idea to improve Multi Pads
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
They WILL sync up if the pattern matches the style playing.
Try the samba pads with any 4/4/ rock or latin style.
Try the swingy pads with any swing/jitterbug pattern. They work very well.

#101453 - 02/17/02 03:56 PM Re: Possible idea to improve Multi Pads
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Marck

somtimes I use 2 memory banks to control the multi pads.
For instance: on certain songs I want the multipad to come in on lets say fourth beat.
I program memory bank 1/1 with that multi pad and turn the volume to "0". I start the beat and hit the multipad, which starts playing and looping, but you can't hear it.
When I need it I hit memory bank 1/2 with the multi pad set to regular volume. The multipad starts playing (which it has been) in synch and where I want it.
Then I hit memory bank 1/1 again to hold it if I want to, depending on the song.

Hope this helps

Eric

#101454 - 02/17/02 04:00 PM Re: Possible idea to improve Multi Pads
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I not only like to use the multipads to trigger loops, but also use them for spontaneous hits & fills which add spark and realism to a performance.

My only complaint (but a BIG one at that) is that the multipads (on both the PSR2000 & PSR9000/9000pro) are 'not' supported via midi System EX messages, so cannot be triggered by the Yamaha MFC10 remote midi foot controler. This is extremely unfortunate because being able to trigger multipads via a mulitple foot control pedal unit will allow you to devote BOTH your hands (at all times) to PLAYING the keyboard. I spoke to Yamaha about this and they agreed, and promised to speak with their R&D dept about the possibility of adding midi 'sysex support' to the Multipads in the future. This would then allow you to trigger all 4 multi pads from the MFC10.

An even better (lighter/cheaper) approach would be for Yamaha to manufacterer a multi pedal (4-8 pedals) foot control unit which could plug into the keyboard via a din plug (not via midi). The PSR2000's support of ONLY two single foot switch controlers is simply not enough, and the Yamaha MFC10 is bulky & heavy, expensive, and probably overkill for most people (including myself). The only reason I purchased it was because there is currently no other option available. Designing a programable PSR arranger dedicated multi-foot pedal unit to support all it's arranger controler functions would be the best approach to me.

Technics, Roland, and Ketron-Solton have been supporting dedicated external multi pedal foot controlers units for years. I'm surprised that Yamaha has not. As far as I know, the only Yamaha keyboard multi pedaled foot controler option is the bulky heavy and expensive 'midi programable' MFC10.

- Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 02-17-2002).]

#101455 - 02/19/02 02:29 AM Re: Possible idea to improve Multi Pads
technicsplayer Offline

any of the technics footswitches or multifootswitches can be programmed to trigger any pad. you just make sure the right pattern is available in that registration for that part of the song.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online