SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#101262 - 08/27/01 01:03 AM Original Song Done Entirely on PSR740 - Please Listen - Audio Link
MR Bulk Offline

Loc: Mililani, Hawaii, USA
Hello,

I am a songwriter and recently co-wrote a song with a lyricist living in Nashville. We've been collaborating for a while (he writes the words, I compose the music) and then I make demos using straight presets off my new Yamaha PSR740. This one was just done last month -- unfortunately that's me you will hear singing...

Please give a listen if you have the time. Your opinions are much valued, especially those of DonM, who I understand is the country expert around these parts, and Scott Yee, piano player/entertainer/singer extraordinaire.

If you have a fast net connection (cable, DSL, etc.), use the first link which is hi-fi (MP3 at 128 kbps). Regular connections should click on the second link (RealPlayer lo-fi, 16 kbps):
http://artists2.iuma.com/site-bin/streammp3.m3u?158525
http://artists2.iuma.com/mugly-bin/ramgen.ram?aid=49431&sid=158525

Again, thanks for listening. I am so glad I found SynthZone BBS, it is a great site.

------------------
Regards and Aloha,

Charlie

[This message has been edited by MR Bulk (edited 08-27-2001).]

Charlie
http://artists2.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/MR_Bulk/index-1.html

#101263 - 08/27/01 05:34 AM Re: Original Song Done Entirely on PSR740 - Please Listen - Audio Link
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Nice song Charlie
Absolutly best quality when taking the time to
download the first link.
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#101264 - 08/27/01 08:57 AM Re: Original Song Done Entirely on PSR740 - Please Listen - Audio Link
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Charlie,
Great lyrics, great arrangement. I like your voice a lot too. Reminds me a little of Ed Bruce.
Balance, e.q. and mix all seem to be fine. I hope it makes you a lot of $$$$$$.
DonM
P.S. Expert: X is an unknown quantity, spurt is a drip under pressure.

#101265 - 08/27/01 10:33 AM Re: Original Song Done Entirely on PSR740 - Please Listen - Audio Link
MR Bulk Offline

GJ,

Thanks for taking the time to listen, glad you were able to use the better-quality link.

DonM,

Appreciate the kind words, it means a lot coming from a professional entertainer (yes I visited your web site!). Thanks for stopping by.

------------------
Regards and Aloha,

Charlie

Charlie

#101266 - 08/27/01 11:27 AM Re: Original Song Done Entirely on PSR740 - Please Listen - Audio Link
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Aloha, Charlie! Your song's fresh, fun, & light hearted mood is a real winner. I was impressed with the 740's sounds/style. Good beat, GREAT lyrics & vocals. Kind of reminds me of the style which made Jimmy Buffett such a success. Hope you're performing for the tourists & locals in Waikiki? BTW: What's the 'guano' factory? Mahalo, - Scott

#101267 - 08/27/01 11:55 AM Re: Original Song Done Entirely on PSR740 - Please Listen - Audio Link
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Great song, Charlie, congratulations!
Scott, in italian and in spanish "guano" is a fertilizer produced by birds living in large colonies (like those nesting on the cliffs of the beautiful island where Charlie lives).
(Hope I was right with this one...)

Andrea

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 08-27-2001).]

#101268 - 08/27/01 04:26 PM Re: Original Song Done Entirely on PSR740 - Please Listen - Audio Link
MR Bulk Offline

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the nice sentiments, coming from you it gives me great validation. Surprising what that little 740 can do, and it's all from presets to boot, no custom programming. Thanks again!

Andrea,

Mahalo (Hawaiian for "Thank You") for coming to the rescue on that guano factory thing. We don't really have'em here in Hawaii, but two really majorly huge condo buildings were built here by the island country of Nauru, which is almost entirely MADE UP of bird droppings since the beginning of time. They have a major industry in mining and selling the "guano" as fertilizer and that's where all the money came from to build those huge buildings.

The lyric writer for this song lives in Georgia and is moving to Nashville in October, so I presume they have those kinds of factories over there somewhere?

BTW, to any composers of original music on this board, I know of a web site where there are tons of really excellent (and I mean EXCELLENT) lyric writers, but the poor guys don't play any instruments and are always looking for guys like us to put their songs to music, after which you would be the official co-writer and own half the song, and then they shop them to various record producers in places like Nashville and even Hollywood. Some of them are even published, meaning they actualy GOT their records CUT by famous artists. So if you're interested in making some serious money in songwriting and are not really a lyricist per se, let me know, either here or e-mail me, and I'll hook you up.

There are far too many for me alone to collaborate with, and you can visit the site and read through the lyrics (they post them for everyone to critique, after which they rewrite and perfect them) and pick and choose which ones you would like to write for. As I said you would then be half-owner of the song. Their e-mails are all on there too, and the site is powered by InfoPop just like this one so you would already be familiar with their Forum format.

Please let me know if anyone is interested.

Charlie

#101269 - 08/29/01 11:50 AM Re: Original Song Done Entirely on PSR740 - Please Listen - Audio Link
Big Red Offline

Loc: Canada
Hey, Mr Bulk,

Greetings from Alberta, Canada's country music capital.

That's as decent a country song as I've heard in a while, as good as they come.
I also write tunes, using a Korg i30, (had a couple published and released in the UK many moons ago) and I'm getting into the habit of writing again.

I'm a bit concerned for you in respect of your putting the entire song out on the web as regards copyright. You know the music biz, there's more sharks in it than there are off the Florida coast. Can you give us some reassurance on this - maybe I'm overly skeptical.

Anyhow, best wishes in your efforts, talent shouldn't go unrewarded.

Regards,
Big Red

P.S. I'll be e-mailing you re. that lyric writers list you mention. Thanks for the tip.

#101270 - 08/29/01 12:02 PM Re: Original Song Done Entirely on PSR740 - Please Listen - Audio Link
MR Bulk Offline

Hi Big Red,

Thanks for the listen and encouragement. Glad to hear you are getting back into it.

All of my stuff is copyrighted before I ever put it out, but I recently had an attorney friend tell me that even if I don't, with the way the communication industry has grown nowadays, once you post something publicly on a grand scale with millions of potential viewers (such as on the net), proof of earliest date of existence is pretty much accomplished, which is all one must prove for a copyright claim to be upheld in court. Not only would the site vendor and ISP server have it on record, but the number of people who see it and (hopefully) would help you vouch for it should discourage anyone from ever trying to steal anything anyway.

Thanks again.

------------------
Regards and Aloha,

Charlie

Charlie

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online