SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#100936 - 02/12/03 12:47 AM Add Text To SMFs
batrumso Offline

Loc: Fountain Valley, CA, 92708
Hello all,

I want to add timed lyrics to some SMFs. What's the best way to approach this? Would any sequencer software do? Is there a way to just paste text into a track of the file? Then, how do you sync it with the melody track? Is there a rule/limit for SMFs' font selections... Spanish, French, Chinese...?

Thanks for Reading.

Tyros Slave,
Dean

#100937 - 02/12/03 01:11 AM Re: Add Text To SMFs
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I am not aware of any limits to the size of the files or the lyric information therein.

The text is always US American ASCII codes 32-127 (i.e. the simple ones). The font is not something defined by the SMF file; if the keyboard / sequencer packages gives you a choice thats just your good luck.

I suspect that lyrics placed between [] characters are interpreted as comments; I don't think appear on the lyric playback screen on my Yam PSR2k (they definately dont on a PSR630)

I've always used Cakewalk to add lyrics to SMF files. Within Cakewalk each word/syllable is associated with a specific melody line note; syllables of words are defined using hyphens (which are removed by Cakewalk when saving the file as an SMF). I think the SMF specification allows lyrics to exist in isolation (each lyric has an associated time) but trying this in Cakewalk just confuses things.

You can paste text into the lyrics editor but you'll still need to indicate syllables of words using hyphens; there is a "hyphenate" option which tries to do this automatically but I've never found it that reliable.

Hope this help!

[This message has been edited by MacAllcock (edited 02-12-2003).]

#100938 - 02/12/03 05:15 AM Re: Add Text To SMFs
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
XG Works let's you add lyrics and chords.

------------------
Roy-Andrč

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online