SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#100905 - 05/02/03 12:11 PM Re: Re-evaluating the Standing vs Sitting Keyboard Playing Position
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Hi Scott...Late post.
Yeah, I too prefer to stand now. I used to do the bench, but visually, at least for me and my particular audience. it works out better. When it comes down to it though...either standing or sitting, as long as you're giving 110% and the audience is enjoying what you're offering...to each his own..(or her own)...not to offend our female forum members.

#100906 - 05/02/03 12:23 PM Re: Re-evaluating the Standing vs Sitting Keyboard Playing Position
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by trtjazz:
Oscar Peterson, Stevie Wonder Barry Manilow, Elton John Jerry Lee Lewis Burt Bacharach Carol King Brian Wilson Melissa Manchester Bruce Hronsby......

Right .... all concert players. They don't do what WE do. They have the benifit of stage crews, band members, theatrical lighting etc..... I saw Elton lay on the floor in front of the piano once too ..... should we all do THAT?

#100907 - 05/02/03 12:36 PM Re: Re-evaluating the Standing vs Sitting Keyboard Playing Position
KN_Fan Offline

UD Wrote:
I saw Elton lay on the floor in front of the piano once too ..... should we all do THAT?

Uncle D,
After five beers...does that count?

#100908 - 05/02/03 02:48 PM Re: Re-evaluating the Standing vs Sitting Keyboard Playing Position
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by trtjazz:
Here's keys players that come to my mind that all sit for the majority of their performance with only the occasional get up....Oscar Peterson, Stevie Wonder Barry Manilow, Elton John Jerry Lee Lewis Burt Bacharach Carol King Brian Wilson Melissa Manchester Bruce Hronsby......so it can work I think.

Terry, now that you've mention it, I've attended many smaller club venues (similar to the 'room size' I play) which have featured Chick Corea, Harry Connick Jr, Michael Feinstein, Diana Krall (and who play the same type of material I do), and they ALL perform 'sitting down', whether singing & playing the acoustic piano or on a synth with backing tracks.

Quote:
Response by Uncle Dave:
Right .... all concert players. They don't do what WE do. They have the benifit of stage crews, band members, theatrical lighting etc.....

I don't know about others, but I 'DO' consider myself a concert player, whether it be a 45 minute show for a senior retirement center, or a show at a small local theatre where tickets are sold. No stage crew or band members, but lighting & small stage may or may not be available, with the audience seated. For venues like this, sitting provides a more intimate interaction with the audience. On the other hand, for large venues (large banquet parties, weddings, dances, etc), unless you are on a stage or riser along with stage lighting, standing is mandatory if you want to make any kind of visual impression.

Uncle Dave: I just checked those two pictures of you performing in a bar (one taken by Tom Cavanaugh and the other taken by Donny Pesce) and noticed that they both show you 'seated' while playing the keyboard. Is this the norm for these smaller club gigs or do you usually play standing up for these too? Btw: I'm still waiting to hear about any tricks (techniques) used to avoid back pain when performing standing up (without a stool) especially when a good portion of your weight needs to be on the opposite foot than the foot that's used to operate the sustain pedal. I'm wondering if I need to reposition the sustain pedal to be more directly underneath my right foot when in full standing position, as opposed to the pedal situated more underneath the keyboard, which creates feeling more unbalanced. Exactly WHERE do you recommend placing the sustain pedal when standing?

As an added note (and to further the topic conversation): I take along a piece of thin plywood with indiviual (3) pedals mounted to it using industrial strength velco to keep them from moving around. The plywood is kept from moving by the kb stand itself. What do others here do to prevent your foot pedals from slipping & sliding around on the floor?

Scott

#100909 - 05/02/03 03:19 PM Re: Re-evaluating the Standing vs Sitting Keyboard Playing Position
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Right .... all concert players. They don't do what WE do. They have the benifit of stage crews, band members, theatrical lighting etc..... I saw Elton lay on the floor in front of the piano once too ..... should we all do THAT?

Dave,
Bottom line in my experience is, A good show is a good show. It's more about the excitement that the performer passes on to the audience, not whether they sit or stand. I once caught Santana and John McGaughlin at the Chicago opera house, they came out and jammed for 3 hours on acoustic guitars sitting cross legged on the floor and is one of the more memorable shows I've ever seen.

Over the years I have played in and seen hundreds of acts in small clubs clearly the majority of the keys players were sitting and I never thought to myself, what a dull act the guy/girl should be standing.

The canarys sans the keyboard I see standing and is the norm.Usually the keys players I see standing are the rock & rollers.

Performers great at what they do leave an audience wanting more by their skills not theatrics and parlor tricks.

What's next for the Uncle Dave dog and pony show, pyrotechnics? That'll get you dancing to the rhythm.

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#100910 - 05/02/03 03:21 PM Re: Re-evaluating the Standing vs Sitting Keyboard Playing Position
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,
My footswitch, which I purchased with the Digitech Vocalist VR, has three switches and measures about 8 inches wide. There are small, rubber feet on each corner that prevent it from moving. You have to physically pick it up in order to move it to another position--you cannot slide it with your feet.

Tonight, I'm headed to the carpet store and picking up a 2X3 piece of plush carpet, and additionally, the thickest carpet pad they sell. A friend of mine who plays in Baltimore tried this about three weeks ago and said he no longer has back pain or sore feet, even after doing a 5-hour stint at the keyboard. I'll let you know if it works for me.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#100911 - 05/02/03 04:54 PM Re: Re-evaluating the Standing vs Sitting Keyboard Playing Position
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Scott,
My footswitch, which I purchased with the Digitech Vocalist VR, has three switches and measures about 8 inches wide.

Hi Gary: Can you please provide the brand/model number and possibly a website link with pic? Thanks. - Scott

#100912 - 05/02/03 05:16 PM Re: Re-evaluating the Standing vs Sitting Keyboard Playing Position
trtjazz Offline

Here's one Scott. http://www.tc-helicon.tc/Default.asp?Id=542

$40.00 @ Muscicans Friend.

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 05-02-2003).]

#100913 - 05/02/03 05:35 PM Re: Re-evaluating the Standing vs Sitting Keyboard Playing Position
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,
It's the Digitech FS300, which has a single, 1/4-inch, stereo connection on the back of the switch. I checked the schematic diagram and you can pretty much use it for any function, and if you wish, put together a modified, three-line cable that can go to three different devices. The switch was about $39 at the local music store.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#100914 - 05/02/03 05:45 PM Re: Re-evaluating the Standing vs Sitting Keyboard Playing Position
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Scott the greatest of all "Ray Charles" sits and so does another exceptional singer player that you even remarked about his "presence." Sonny G.

If you can play you can do it laying down and people will take note.

In essence, do it the way you are more comfortable. If your back bothers you, take care of it. You'll probably be doing this a long time. Unless you want to come mix mortar for me to lay brick. Ha! Ha!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online