SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#100895 - 05/02/03 07:39 AM Re: Re-evaluating the Standing vs Sitting Keyboard Playing Position
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
within the next few weeks, I'm headed to South Jersey to meet with Donny, listen to his powered speakers, then after picking his brains, I'm gonna' revamp my entire system, lighten the load,

Gary,
Can't wait to meet you and your wife.
I'm sure you'll have a great time at my Dance Club. Don't worry we'll lighten you up for sure!! See ya soon

Dnj

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-02-2003).]

#100896 - 05/02/03 07:49 AM Re: Re-evaluating the Standing vs Sitting Keyboard Playing Position
Catsailor Offline

Scott,

I don't play professionally (really nothing more than a rank amateur) but I was wondering if you just couldn't compromise. I have seen some advertisements for a seat that can be adjusted to a position that looks like one can be in a semi-seated/standing position. It adjusts up a rail and goes higher than a bench to almost a standing position. This might give you the height presence and still allow you to be somewhat seated. There is also a back available for it. I think it's made by Quiklok. This might ease the strain on your back enough to make you feel better when playing. Another thing, you might try is a better pair of shoes. I believe there are men's shoes that are made along the lines of nurses shoes(orthopedic shoes); because they spend a lot of time on their feet and need better shoes, shoe manufactures keep improving the designs. These shoes apparently ease up the back strain. My ex-wife was a nurse with a bad back and loved these shoes. I just thought these ideas might help. I've learned so much from your posts that I hope I can give a little in return. Good luck with your back and thanks for all of the great music and information you share.

Peter

#100897 - 05/02/03 07:51 AM Re: Re-evaluating the Standing vs Sitting Keyboard Playing Position
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Of course I sit at the "piano" bar nights. Other jobs I use a high architect-type adjustable stool, with back. It has allowed me to continue working despite some rather bad back problems. At the 1-hour Nursing Home jobs, I stand.
I use two pedals, as Dave does, one for Vocal Harmony, the other sustain. I've always used my hands for the fills.
DonM

#100898 - 05/02/03 07:57 AM Re: Re-evaluating the Standing vs Sitting Keyboard Playing Position
Dnj Offline

Peter.....

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-02-2003).]

#100899 - 05/02/03 08:24 AM Re: Re-evaluating the Standing vs Sitting Keyboard Playing Position
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I play foot bass with the left foot - therefore I'm a sitter. And it is definately more difficult to sing properly sitting down than it is when you are standing; posture become very critical. Sit stooped and you will do your back in very quickly and you will sound terrible (or in my case more terrible than normal). I have quite a high seat and also set the microphone so that I have to sit properly to sing into it.

[This message has been edited by MacAllcock (edited 05-02-2003).]

#100900 - 05/02/03 08:57 AM Re: Re-evaluating the Standing vs Sitting Keyboard Playing Position
cam8neel Offline

Loc: Providence, RI USA
I sit when I perform. It gives a "piano man" effect, especially since the majority of my repetoire is Manilow, Elton, Joel, etc. Also, doing mostly "lighter" classic rock and not much in the way of dance-type music, I am more comfortable sitting, as most of my audience is also sitting...and listening, too, I hope...

Angelo

#100901 - 05/02/03 09:12 AM Re: Re-evaluating the Standing vs Sitting Keyboard Playing Position
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Thanks to everyone for the great input and feedback. It's interesting to read that there are other standing position players here who also need to utilize some kind of high stool for added support as I do. I agree that standing provides the best performance position for all the reasons listed above, but currently the only way I can stand (without feeling back strain from standing) is to take the high stool, yet I hate the hassle of having to drag yet another thing to a gig.

I'm convinced that my standing position back ache is caused by having to support my entire upper body with one foot while the other foot activates the sustain pedal. My doctor tells me that its this that's throwing my body (back) out of alignment and that I should instead be standing solidly & balanced with both feet on the floor.

Seeing now that others, like UD, are able to stand (without the need for a stool for added support) and who also utilize & play the sustain pedal alot as a traditional piano damper pedal, I'm now wondering if there's a trick (pedal positioning or some other standing position technique) which could be shared which might shed some light on your success. I really would like to LEAVE the stool at home.

Scott

#100902 - 05/02/03 10:11 AM Re: Re-evaluating the Standing vs Sitting Keyboard Playing Position
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Scott,

My reply to your original question may be a bit late, but here it is anyway...

I do not sing, so our situations are not exactly analogous, but having tried performing in both sitting and standing positions, I find that I can put way more energy into my music when my behind is resting. Also, this makes it easier to use pedals (I use two). So for the most part I prefer a sitting position. I do try to stack a couple of chairs (usually not a problem getting a couple of those at most of my venues), so that I can sit a bit higher.

While I agree that standing looks more professional, the sitting position makes me sound more professional, so the choice is easy.

I have tried other alternatives, such as adjustable-height drum thrones. However, neither the mid-range nor the high-end ones were comfortable for a 2+ hour gig. I don't think a piano bench is high enough for me, but would like to try the stool Donny was suggesting, if I could only find one in a store around here. My other problem is that the keyboard does not feel sturdy enough on the X-stand, when I stand (but I think we have beaten this one to death in the other thread).

Regards,

Alex

#100903 - 05/02/03 11:31 AM Re: Re-evaluating the Standing vs Sitting Keyboard Playing Position
KN_Fan Offline

Hi Scott,
I agree with UD. My response is basically just echoing what UD and others said already. Standing looks better and more mobility. When you dance also- the audience will feel more energy.

Perhaps you're already doing this- fast song, standing. Slow song, sitting down..but since you're already setting up your keyboard for standing position, you'll need a high stool to rest.

From our conversation the other day I'm not surprised that you're practically standing with one foot. You control a lot of stuff with pedals (I only use it for sustain...that's about it).

I don't know how weird this would look...can you live with two microphones? Perhaps one head set and one standing microphones for the Harmonizer. That should eliminate one pedal function.

for Fill ins-can't you just use the fill in button (I think you also use pedal for this right?) I played a very brief gig (at a Mexican restaurant for a month) before. Played some fast songs- I managed to do just fine. Of course, sorry to make a comparison between my amateur gig to yours.

That's my .02.....

#100904 - 05/02/03 12:09 PM Re: Re-evaluating the Standing vs Sitting Keyboard Playing Position
trtjazz Offline

Here's keys players that come to my mind that all sit for the majority of their performance with only the occasional get up....Oscar Peterson, Stevie Wonder Barry Manilow, Elton John Jerry Lee Lewis Burt Bacharach Carol King Brian Wilson Melissa Manchester Bruce Hronsby......so it can work I think.

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online