SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#100616 - 11/28/01 01:39 PM Re: Customizing the PSR2000 : Here's how I set mine up !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike H:
If you played in split mode and transposed the upper section down an octave - but used the same sound sample for both sides - #1 - could you do that and #2 what would happen if you were holding a note (as part of a chord) in the left hand and ended up restriking the same note in the right hand (because of the transposing) - would it continue as part of the sustained note or register for only as long as you held it down??

The right hand part, playing the same note pitch as one of the notes in the left auto-accomp part (because of transpoing), does NOT affect or register the auto-accompaniment in any way, even if the pitch is the same.

#100617 - 11/28/01 07:03 PM Re: Customizing the PSR2000 : Here's how I set mine up !
Mike H Offline

Loc: Homer AK
Scott - thanks - but that wasn't quite what I was trying to ask - I know it won't trigger the accompaniment because that is governed by the split point - But!! - what happens in my example when your left hand is also sounding the same piano sound as the right hand - (giving you a full piano sound with both hands as well as triggering acc. in the left)??

Example - you are holding a chord down (EABD) in the left hand and the right hand (transposed down an octave) plays one of those notes as a passing note in an improv - Does it come out as a sustained note which has been restruck?

Mike H

#100618 - 11/29/01 12:26 AM Re: Customizing the PSR2000 : Here's how I set mine up !
MR Bulk Offline

Loc: Mililani, Hawaii, USA
Man, leave it to Scott to get a new toy that many of us already have, and within a coupla days know more about it than we, and probably the Yamaha programming technicians themselves, do!

I personally find the factory manual lacking, especially for someone like me who uses Arr/KBs mostly to record demos. I don't have to (or Get to, actually) play around with all the features and find out neat stuff for myself.

Scott, I would like to one day see a manual, written in plain English, that displays headings for what operation is desired, and then a step-by-step, "First, turn on the keyboard by pressing red button. Then...", etc., set of instructions. Sort of a "Yamaha PSR2000 For Dummies" edition. Heck, I'd BUY a copy if you would only write it!

And Thanks for the "ACMP always on at startup" tip in your follow-up post. Really useful!

------------------
Regards and Aloha,

Charlie
http://artists2.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Wong_Songs/index-1.html

Charlie
http://artists2.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/MR_Bulk/index-1.html

#100619 - 11/29/01 09:34 AM Re: Customizing the PSR2000 : Here's how I set mine up !
Joe Waters Offline

Loc: Sterling, VA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
...Well, here's my solution to the PSR2000's small 580kb storage space. ...

As Scott points out in his initial posting, the many options (and restrictions) of the PSR2000 require users to think about not only how to play the keyboard, but also how to organize their arranger data. Let me add some more options users may find useful.

When you have a "song" just the way you like it, the arrangement package consists of a particular song title, an accompaniment style and associated settings, and various instruments selected to play the main voices, together (main, layer, left) and in sequence (OTS, R1-8, Rhythm A, B, C, D).

You can devise organization schemes based on any of the main parts above, song title, style, key instruments.

If you want to focus on the song, you can save all your registration settings as a registration file named after the song. If you save this on a floppy, you can put 200-300 songs on a single disk, complete with whatever folder scheme you want to use to find the songs. If there are a few fake books you play from, you could have a disk for each book, then as you play the songs in the book, save the settings you want under the song name and they are always available when you play the song again. It might take only 2 or 3 registration entries to define the song the way you want it, but you could also consider setting up two or three styles that could be used to play that song and save all the settings in the one song file.

As another alternative, consider a style focus. I happen to love the Lounge Piano style (unfortunately not preset in the PSR2000, but easily obtained from floppy and stored in user area.) That particular style can be used with a lot of different songs. So, I use the 8 registrations to set up a variety of solo instruments, and even left hand accompaniment (some with Grand Piano, some with Nylon Guitar, which sounds great as an accompaniment on the 2000). I can then bringup this registration, freeze either the piano left hand or nylon left hand, and have lots of solo instruments (the 8 reg settings plus the 4 OTS settings) that can be used with this style.

Style type (tempo) can also be used. Last night I set up an 8-Beat (100-120) registration set. A lot of songs will fit into this tempo range and there are a variety of styles available in the 2000 that I can put in the registrations. When I come across a song in this tempo range, I can pull up this reg file and choose any of the styles, freeze it, and then use any of the solo instruments set up in the 8 reg slots plus the OTS settings. In picking main instruments to go in a style registration slot, I try and choose an instrument that is not in one of the 4 OTS settings to maximize the choices available.

Finally, there is the favorite settings and instruments suggested by Scott. Using the Music Finder Database, pick your song (which will have the tempo and style set in the MFD) and then freeze that sytle and use any of the instruments you want from your favorite settings.

As the Music Finder Database grows, it can be more difficult to find songs. You can use the keyword entry to help. For example, if you put in a code that represents a music book (I use UFB for Ultimate Fake Book - fewer letters are always preferable), you can search on that keyword to find all the songs in that book that you have defined in the MFD.

I'm not sure which method, if any, will prove most useful for me over time. I thought saving registrations by song, could be useful, particularly since a floppy can hold so many songs. However, it's a pain to set everything up for any song, particularly when so many songs can share the same basic environment. So, perhaps defining a few style/tempo related settings may be sufficient to support hundreds of possible songs. I enjoy flipping through my books playing song after song a lot more than fussing over exactly what instruments to be using.

Looking forward to hearing other ideas from users...
Joe

#100620 - 11/29/01 10:11 AM Re: Customizing the PSR2000 : Here's how I set mine up !
cam8neel Offline

Loc: Providence, RI USA
I own a PSR2000, but have not even scratched the surface of what it can do. I am totally lost when it comes to saving styles/sounds in the registration memory. Everytime I save something there and shut off the keyboard, I lose all the settings. I feel kinda dumb! As Mr. Bulk has stated, I wish there WERE a "PSR2000 For Dummies" available for rookies like myself. I've been a keyboardist for 29 years, but am not so technically sound, so I could use all the help I can get! Scottyee, feel like authoring such a manual?? LOL

#100621 - 11/29/01 10:44 AM Re: Customizing the PSR2000 : Here's how I set mine up !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Cam8neel: You just need to SAVE your Registration Memory Bank to User Memory or onto floppy disk. Once you do that, you can later call up that specific Registration Bank file and it will bring up all your customized settings. A dummies book?! hmmm. That's an idea . . . in the works! BTW, I'm also available for telephone consulting. Email me if you're interested. - Scott
http://scottyee.com

#100622 - 11/29/01 06:22 PM Re: Customizing the PSR2000 : Here's how I set mine up !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Joe,
I love that Lounge Piano style too. So much, that I sent it to Scott unsolicited.
Don

#100623 - 11/29/01 07:11 PM Re: Customizing the PSR2000 : Here's how I set mine up !
Joe Waters Offline

If any is interested, I prepared an Excel spread sheet that displays all the preset PSR2000 styles sorted by tempo. A great aid when you want to see what presets are close to a particular tempo you may want to use with a song. I uploaded it to the Yamaha PSR-Styles Group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/yamaha-psr-styles/files/
Note: I tried saving the Excel spreadsheet as an HTML file and then inserting the source code here. I guess it didn't work, because the resulting htm version did not show up, the source did. But I was able to send that page to an area I have on my web site, so here is a link to the table viewable through your browser:
http://pages.prodigy.net/watersj/Yamaha2K/2KStyleTempo.htm

[This message has been edited by Joe Waters (edited 11-29-2001).]

#100624 - 11/29/01 07:27 PM Re: Customizing the PSR2000 : Here's how I set mine up !
Anonymous
Unregistered

My PSR2000 has not arrived yet, so this question may be a little pre-mature. But, her goes: If you have some of your presets for individual songs loaded on a floppies, can you call up one of the presets, start playing and change floppies mid song in order to get into another song quickly or does that kill the style when you pull the floppy?

#100625 - 11/29/01 07:38 PM Re: Customizing the PSR2000 : Here's how I set mine up !
Joe Waters Offline

Bsharp,
If you are at all familiar with Windows, you can view the working part of the PSR2K like the clip board. When you load a style, from built-in presets or user ram or floppy disk, it is copied to this working area. You can change whatever parameters you want. You can take out one floppy and put in another. That doesn't affect your working area settings. Of course, if you LOAD a new style from the new floppy, that will replace the style that was in your working area.

If you want to SAVE any of your settings, you have to move them from the working area in RAM to some more permanent storage. You save your settings in a registration file. One file can hold 8 different settings and you can be working with all 8 at the same time. to SAVE your registration file permanently, you need to move it to the User area in RAM (limited space available) or to a floppy (lots of space available). In the case you mentioned, you could load the settings for a song, start playing that song or adjusting it as you see fit. Any time you want, you can remove the floppy and put in another floppy. After all, the information from the first floppy has been loaded and is now in the keyboard working area. Nothing happens to the song you loaded until you choose to replace it with something from the new floppy.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online