SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#100216 - 07/04/06 04:19 AM Need your help on a tech qustion.. please help
Awesome John Offline

Loc: Marmaris, Turkey
Need help with a technical question please show me the way
Hi everyone.. I am a guitar player signed a contract to do a summer gig ( I was working as a duo with a keyboard player, we were using a kentron keyboard with intellegent real time arranger) and my keyboard player gets an offer for a few bucks more per night and deserts me.. so Im stuck without my "back up band" now what to do?

This isnt the first time this type of thing happened to me.. I have a ton of work but the budgets are small and actaully I would be better off just doing a one man show like my keyboard player is doing now

and that is what I have decided to do.. but how?
What ý want to do is to make my own backup tracks...

My question

Is There a software or machine that allows you to use it like when you use a keyboard ( by this I mean it would have "styles" of music with different intros fills and endings.. this way I could select the style I needed and punch in the chords and fills bars etc ) so want I want to do is to make my own back up tracks using some software where I can mouse of write in the chords, fills, begining and ending..

please point me in the right direction gentlemen you guy would know what I should do......

how can I create these back up tracks? what unit or software can I use?

#100217 - 07/04/06 04:49 AM Re: Need your help on a tech qustion.. please help
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Buy an inexpensive keyboard that does a good job with midi files, record the backing tracks, then record them on your computer and render them as MP3s. Now you can fire the MP3s through an inexpensive MP3 player into your PA, or use a laptop to fire the MP3s through your PA and still use your guitar.

Then, when get an opportunity, run over your old keyboard player with your car!

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#100218 - 07/04/06 04:52 AM Re: Need your help on a tech qustion.. please help
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
John: I would recommend that you look at band-in-a-box. From your description it sounds like it might be a good match. I have never used Jammer but I know some people have recommended that as well. You will find a listing of this and other software on Synthzone at:
http://www.synthzone.com/midiaccomp.htm

#100219 - 07/04/06 06:09 AM Re: Need your help on a tech qustion.. please help
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Band in a box or better- "jammer pro".
but for super-fast result get an arranger-play everything -save it to SMF format/or MP3,then use it as backing tracks.Downside of MP3s(transposition and channel volumes can not be readjusted- say you'll be stuck with recorded bass/drums ch volumes),since we can come across with different PA systems).

Or you can just buy/download - SMF(midi files)on the net.

What kind of KB do you have?

[This message has been edited by jamman (edited 07-04-2006).]

#100220 - 07/04/06 06:39 AM Re: Need your help on a tech qustion.. please help
Dnj Offline

http://www.ketronus.com/midjay.htm

............Sing & Play solo
& don't look back

#100221 - 07/04/06 06:42 AM Re: Need your help on a tech qustion.. please help
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
I just checked your profile looking at your user name.Well,it's a small world.

You've got mail.

#100222 - 07/04/06 10:49 AM Re: Need your help on a tech qustion.. please help
keybG Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
http://www.ketronus.com/midjay.htm

............Sing & Play solo
& don't look back

I was going thru the demos of Midjay and the full demo that you can find at the bottom of the list, has some strange female voices......hear it and you will understand....

#100223 - 07/04/06 11:19 AM Re: Need your help on a tech qustion.. please help
Awesome John Offline

Loc: Marmaris, Turkey
I want to thank all the wonderful folks on the forums here for helping me out and showing me the way. Im sure you all went through the beginers "where the hell am I what the hell am I going to do now?" mode that I am in now.. But thank God that we live in the age of the internet ... I know nothing about this and I live in Turkey so I got on the net and asked my peers on a forum.. you were all so kind to show me the way and I took your suggestions and visited the sites of the products you mentioned and many of them offer "traile versions" so I could reaaly check them out... I think that this is a real market that many companies are not addressing... "the stupid guitarist singer one man band market" I am sure that there are over 50 million of us out there that want to work one man shows but are too dumb to program software...

From eveything I have seen the ketron sounds the best and is the easiest thing to use... I think that it can be made easier with a zillion features that we dont use and clog up our allready burm out minds (we are talking guitarists remember a nice click and drag long ribbon looking program where intros fills and styles can be called in easy and used without "Math" Guitarist hate math!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we are instinctual creaters that follows our inner reactions and make beautiful music that way... there has got to be some simple software out there... Band in a box "still sounded dorky and not cool" and was too busy a software "bar 17?" get the funkoutahere .. show me the thing on the screen in colored boxes that I can FEEL NOT COUNT.. like Que base.. thats easy...

Anyway the ketron dealer is my friend here I am gonna go for the midi jay... but I am gonna prowl the forums and buy backups tracks by my fellow performing artists...etc.. I gotta get working man! 5 mouths to feed work up the wazzOo and no band TO BACK ME UP!!!

Thank for everything guys God bless you thanks for your guidence here...
wwarmest regards
AWESOME jOHN!

#100224 - 07/04/06 12:48 PM Re: Need your help on a tech qustion.. please help
Dnj Offline

Midjay is a great choice goood luck!!!

#100225 - 07/05/06 03:48 AM Re: Need your help on a tech qustion.. please help
trtjazz Offline

Band in a Box sounds just like what you need to me. pgmusic.com
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry