SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#100034 - 11/12/02 11:52 PM Re: EVsxa 100 buzz...Scott, Angelo or UD
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Donny, I've NEVER had any problems with hum from these speakers. The only minor drawback is the hiss, but only noticeable up close in a dead quiet room.

The BIG plus with the EV SxA100's is that they're egonomicly shaped and have a fairly balanced weight distribution, making them easy to manage. I find transporting the EVs easier than some much lighter (yet awkardly shaped boxy PA speakers. Remember, it's NOT just the weight alone that counts.

#100035 - 11/13/02 05:45 AM Re: EVsxa 100 buzz...Scott, Angelo or UD
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Donny - Bring the Barbetta's to lunch today ,and we'll swap for a few days. That way you can test out the EV's at your Thursday night dance. I don't need them back till the weekend, when I have the Father/Daughter dance at my alma mater.
Just me and 200 other assorted Dad's trying to look cool in front of our little girls !
(aaagh! - dancing to Eminem in publick ? )

#100036 - 11/13/02 08:52 AM Re: EVsxa 100 buzz...Scott, Angelo or UD
Anonymous
Unregistered

Donny & UD - If you go ahead with your swap, I'll be very interested in your candid evaluations. I'm looking at both those speakers. Thanks.

Glenn

#100037 - 11/13/02 10:37 PM Re: EVsxa 100 buzz...Scott, Angelo or UD
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I used the Barbetta tonite at work (just one) and it sounded great. Just as good as my EV's I guess - the big difference for me was the lack of a wedge shape to angle it up into the crowd. I don't use the poles all the time because of the "ugliness" factor and Wednesday's club is one of those "pretty" places that wouldn't like the look. In cases such as this - I miss the angle shape. It really helps fill the room without blaring at any one direction.
I hear Donny liked the EV's a lot, but I doubt that a swap is in the cards .... I don't love the horn in the Barbetta, and the shape thing ..... well, I'll keep the EV's.
(I never expected to fall for the Sona's, because I've heard them before, and owned a few other models) The Barbetta is good, but I think the EV's have an edge. We'll see how Donny likes them after a night in front of 400 people at his Thursday night dance club. That'll be the real test - he gives his gear a workout every Thursday.

#100038 - 11/14/02 05:57 AM Re: EVsxa 100 buzz...Scott, Angelo or UD
Dnj Offline

So far I tried the EV's in my studio last night at CLOSE RANGE and aside from the Hiss which is NOT noticable while playing they sound great, tight bass, crisp highs. There is is no HISS with the Barbetta speakers, thats the trade off with the EV's ergonomics & 12" vs 15" speaker. The Barbettas also give you more MIXER options, 4 seperate inputs with vol controls, XLR mic/vol control, 3band EQ, 1/4" output. and double that with 2 speakers so no need for a seperate mixer. Tonight I'll give the Ev's a shot On Stage at my Dance Club. More to follow..........

#100039 - 11/14/02 11:54 AM Re: EVsxa 100 buzz...Scott, Angelo or UD
B2 Offline

Loc: Westfield, Massachesetts, USA
Update number 1....EV tech service = Grade A..called up the 1-800 number and spoke with a service rep in about 3 minutes (descent music on the tape too) Told him about the buzz in one speaker, he said to bring it and the receipt to my local Ev service contractor (I have one 20 minutes from my home...lucky me)and he'll test it and get it running right. if there is a problem and they can't fix it...they'll call Sam Ash and i can just run down to new haven and pick one up. Badda Bing....I'll let you know what they find by the weekend...Thanks everyone..Brian

#100040 - 11/14/02 12:03 PM Re: EVsxa 100 buzz...Scott, Angelo or UD
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Brian: Update #1 sounds good. Looking forward to UPDATE #2.

#100041 - 11/14/02 12:34 PM Re: EVsxa 100 buzz...Scott, Angelo or UD
cam8neel Offline

Loc: Providence, RI USA
Bri,

That's great to hear! Yes, let us know!

Angelo

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online