I recently auditioned the Mackie SM450's and
I agree that they are probably the best sounding system for its' size right now. There's been a lot of advancements in PA speaker technology in just the last few years and the Mackie SRM450's seems to demonstrate this.

PA speakers reproduce and amplify everything we do musically ... It can "make" or "break" your performance (of course a great sound system cannot turn a lousy performance into a great one but it will bring out the "best" you have to offer). Dine for few weeks on macoroni and cheese (if you must), but "don't compromise" on the sound.

I currently own a couple of very decent sounding Roland KC-300 amp/speakers (38-1/2 lbs ea) which are relatively easy to transport. The Mackie SRM450's are a bit heavier (51 lbs/ea), but I think the added weight might be worth the increased sound quality gain, especially in the tight bass and smooth warm mid range. Plan to move up to the Mackie SRM450's (as soon as I can stock up on enough of those macaroni dinners)

Question to current SM450 owners: I only got to audition the SM450's as a pair. How does the Mackie SM450 perform (sound dispersion: wide coverage?) when set directly on the floor and used "singularly" (just one) for smaller venues (less than 40 people)? Is the 51 lb SM450 very easy to transport, lifting in/out of the trunk of a car and to/from a luggage cart, etc? Very easy to carry using its' "built in" handles only? I'm looking for the best possible sound balanced with the lightest weight possible. Is the SM450 the one?

Scott