keysvocalssax, of course it is only the music that matters in the end. No-one can possibly deny that.

But although your initial posting was made out to be a question I think you weren't really asking a question but making a statement as you already knew how you feel about this issue before you began. But you did ask for input from others and of course you got a range of opinions.

As I said it's all about the music and how each of us go about achieving that is a personal thing. Reading music and being profficient playing in all keys is a very desirable thing. Sure it may not be essential to play good music, but that is a personal choice in what disciplines bring out the best in us.

Neither approach is right or wrong. We all have to make the right decision for ourselves for the right reasons. However we end up going about it just make sure the music sounds good. That is the bottom line.

( PS I work with some very talented software engineers who are very accomplished mathematicians but whose spelling skills aren't perfect .... there is no connection between the abilities so I really don't think that is a valid arguement one way or the other )

I think we all got to put in our 2 cents worth. It was a very worthwhile thread but I think it's all been said now.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 08-18-2006).]