Here's some info that might be helpful, from my experience at least:

The S80 is the oldest of the following
S80
S90
S08
Mo8
MoES8

Between the S08, S80 and S90, none have an onboard recordable sequencer. All have a playback only sequencer. The Motifs have recordable sequencers.

The S80 , S08 and S90 all have different sound engines. All have different effects processors.

The key feel of the S08, S90 and Mo8 and MoES8 are all the same balanced hammer action.

The S80 has a different key feel. It's balanced and hammer action but it is a different and in my opinion, lighter action. I prefer a heavy action.

I've own an S80 (but only for a short period of time). I own an S90 and have had it about 2 years now. I also own a Mofif ES7, and have had that for almost a year now.

The S80, S08, S90 and Mo8 and MoES8 can all be hooked up to a computer. Personally a use a Midiman 2x2 midi interface but I believe all the boards you mentioned have a USB, except maybe the S08 (I'm not sure).

The S80 is discontinued, maybe the S08 too. The Mo8 is discontinued also. The S90 and MoEs's all come with SQ01 sequencing software. The S90 , when using as a sound source for midi sequences only has 2 insert efects, but the Mo ES's have 8 insert effects.

They are all different.

The S80, S90 and Mo's are also pretty good controllers, but I don't think the S08 is as good at controlling. Nor is the S08 expandable.

the S80, S90 and Mo's (all Mo's) are expandable with Yamaha's Plug in cards. Yamaha's cards are much better than just simply adding new voice libraries. They are actually synth engines in their own right adding poly and effects to your board. Grant this added poly and effects are for the card only, but atleast they don't steal form the mother board ya know? The DX plug is excellent. It's like adding a Yamaha DX7 to your board. Again, you can not expand an S08.

The sounds in the S80 are very good and the sounds in the S08 are good. The sounds in the S90 and Mo's are better.

It's a tough call. The Mo's are called workstations and the others are performance synths. The workstations are better at creating/developing music, because they have sampling and onboard sequencing. They also have more polyphony too.

Not to steer you away from Yamaha, because I love Yamaha. (I sold old my Roland stuff and am stricly a Yamaha user now. I love the Motif/S90 sound. To me it's the best. The organs are the most usable "out of the box" organs available in a synth to me. The Mo ES organs rock! Outside of B3 clones, only Kurzwiel, to me, comes close)....

If you don't plan to gig, and you don't need a heavy feel, perhaps something like a Trinto LE would do ya?

Do you need 88 weighted kays? Alot of money can be saved if you went with a 61 key workstation, or even a 76 key w/s.

I also had an Roland XP-80 which was very good to create with. If you're patient you could probably get a mint cond. used one for 800 , maybe as low as 700.

Anyway, best wishes to ya.
Bob
<><

PS, what do you mean about stripping MP3's and a keyboard? I don't know where they fit in together.

[This message has been edited by RW (edited 06-13-2005).]