I just found this site about a month ago and I really like it. Congratulations to whoever started it.

I have a few questions for songwriters. The easiest one is this: When one is a member of a performing group and writes songs which said group performs, what should happen to them when/if the band breaks up? Do you think the songs should "die" and everyone should move on, or do they still belong to the writer forever? I have been in this situation and I would like to keep my songs but have been told that was a no-no.

The other question is related: Should former members of our hypothetical band other than the songwriter be able to ever perform or claim the songs again? This has also happened to me, and I was quite offended. After we broke up, our former leader (who never wrote anything) revived some of our songs in his new group. They weren't mine, at least the ones I found out about, but I have a feeling he did take a few of mine that he really liked and just wouldn't admit it. Then, a few weeks later he started bugging me for music and lyrics to this awesome kickbutt song another friend of ours wrote, but whom neither of us had ever performed with. To me, this is unacceptable and tasteless, but I don't know maybe I'm off base here.

I guess I can't really stop him but it really made me mad. What does anybody here think? Is there any solution?