[QUOTE]Originally posted by larry gosmeyer:
[B]Hi Larry,

I very seldom use quantize on sequences that I want to just play. It usually makes them sound too mechanical in playback.

I've been on vacation, so let me catch up. This post has gone from Quantizing to how to print a melody.

IMHO, mechanical playback says it all. It is better to lose the perfection and keep the human part.

As a pro guitar player, when I Played rhythem guitar, If the song was an up-beat, my chords/Guitar was just ahead of the beat. When it was a slow ballad, I was just a little bit late. When we played 5 foot 2, I played right on the beat. ha ha ha--You could not measure the before or after, it was a feeling. I could make a song more exciting without picking up the beat, or play a beautiful ballad, and make you feel the anticipation. With quantizing you lose all of that.

I have taken what I consider a good midi file, gone into step record mode for the bass and drums, and have found they are not always on the beat. They are off with intent.

Quantizing on a drum roll, or a strong cow bell for the Cha Cha beat is great, it does have it's use, but never to lose the FEEL of the song.

IMHO, John C.