The area to look into is the MIDI Sets. You only get eight, but that’s plenty enough to work well with a modest iPad setup (I’m primarily just using a few solo sounds, as you have noticed, most of the BK9’s sounds are bang on).

In the MIDI Set, you select which Keyboard or Song/Style Parts get sent out the MIDI/USB connection. Then select which MIDI Ch# you want to transmit on (so it doesn’t have to use the Internal Ch#) and decide which controllers, sysex etc. you want to send or block. At this point it’s send mode only you need, so make sure to turn OFF all incoming MIDI, especially sysex!

Once you’ve set up things the way you want, save as say #2 of the 8. I recommend setting Set 1 to Internal sounds only, no transmit of any kind, no receiving anything (unless you are hooked to a DAW). Make this your Default startup Midi Set, so you always start up with no chance of anything unusual coming from the iPad!

You can probably come up with your own needs, but I definitely recommend one Set for UPR1 transmit, one for UPR2 only, one for LWR, then whatever combinations you need.

BUT…. WARNING!

The MIDI Set data is stored in the Global parameters, which on the BK series, has NO BACKUP at all. 🤯 This means WRITE DOWN ON PAPER ALL THESE SETTINGS! That’s the only way to recreate them if you end up having to do a reset (as are ALL parameters stored in Global, which includes your Mastering Tools data, Mic settings, FC7 assignments and much more). Total PITA, fixed on the EA7…

Then, once you have your MIDI Sets tested and stored, you can Link each individual Performance (all 999 of them!) you create to one of the Sets. From this point onwards, you can basically just use and play the BK9 without worrying about external gear (yes, this system will work with most external gear, whether USB or MIDI). Call up a Performance, and all routing and setups are done for you.

As to calling up the sounds in an iPad instrument, there’s a bit of a wrinkle. Been a while since I tested this, the Keyboard Parts can only SEND the PC#’s of the Internal sounds. This isn’t a problem if your iPad instrument just uses straight 1-128 PC#’s, but if it wants to see CC#00/32 codes for bank select, you may not find an Internal Tone with the same codes. YMMV, caveat emptor!

Song Parts (if you decide to REALLY complicate life by using the iPad/external gear for Song Parts!) can be set to transmit any code, so no problem there.

I’d recommend you walk before you run… get the SWAM tenor or alto (or get the bundle!), hook it up to the iPad, use a simple MIDI Set to transmit just controllers (filter out pc# to not inadvertently change the sound in the iPad) for UPR1 (my #2 Set) and then just bliss out playing that amazing sax sound!

Sorry for being a bit late with the reply… chemo sucks! 🩷🎹🩷🎹🩷