Originally Posted By TedS
Did you see this review?

https://www.scoringnotes.com/reviews/a-review-of-optical-music-recognition-software/

I've struggled with some of these same issues-- trying to develop a "work flow" to convert my paper-based collection of scores to some kind of electronic format (MIDI preferred.) I would be grateful for any insight you're able to share.

No, I had not seen this before.

Thank you so much for posting the link to this very comprehensive review of the following 4 Music Scanning Software:

PlayScore 2
ScanScore
PhotoScore Ultimate
SmartScore 64 Professional Edition

Anyone looking for a robust solution to convert their paper scores to MIDI files should read this entire article.

I am listening to the podcast now.

As I guessed, SmartScore 64 Professional Edition is the most feature rich product. After the image recognition is complete, you can play back the song with an optional rhythm track matched to the music genre of your choice.

This is far more elegant and pleasing than having a metronome to count the beat.

It recognizes a wide range of Chord Symbols and can translate them into Guitar Tabs. There are over 700 Guitar Tabs and you can add your own. So, it should be a simple enhancement to insert the notes of a given Chord inside a new MIDI track rather that displaying the Guitar Tab.

Inserting notes to represent Chords would not make it a bonafide XF MIDI file, but would work just fine for my purpose. I could set the MIDI volume for this new Chord Track to zero. This will trigger the chord changes during playback but not make any sound.

The Chords in a real XF MIDI File are short SysEx messages. Yamaha is secretive on their content. It is meant to work with Yamaha's Performance Assist Technology where the playback waits till the user hits the right keys.

There are many third party developers that make genuine XF MIDI files like BonMIDI, MIDISpot, etc. They contain Chords and Lyrics and special SysEx messages for individual instruments like the Genos, Tyros5, SX900, etc.

This means there must be tools out there to create these XF MIDI files. They are not available to the general public.

For your specific use case where all you want is to convert your paper sheet music into an electronic format, I think SmartScore 64 Pro would be your best bet.

I purchased my first Musitek product at Winter NAMM way back in 1998. It was called MidiScan version 2.5.1 and came in two 3.5" diskettes. Christopher Newell, President of Musitek was giving the demos. This company has been on the forefront of Music Scanning Technology.

Since then I upgraded to the SmartScore X Pro Edition. I have been happy with this product. This is certainly a professional's tool.

I would highly recommend trying out their demo to see if it fits your needs. It is expensive but it does the job right.