Originally Posted By cgiles
I think I've figured out why everybody (including me) likes Don's work. Everybody (including maybe Don) is going to hate me (nothing new there smile ) for saying this but; none of Don's stuff sounds like it's an arranger backing. It's probably the most authentic-sounding accompaniment heard on this board. Two other things; 1. 'licks', including solos, that do such a great job of emulating both tone and playing technique (especially guitar), and 2. timing. This is SO, SO important and it's mostly a 'feel' thing. Arrangers are very precise and to keep them from sounding 'robotic' (as Donny says), YOU have to supply the syncopation or little variations in tempo/timing that makes it sound LIVE. BTW, this also applies to playing to drum machines, although some have what's called a 'swing' setting which artificially does the same thing, just not as well. Here's a clue though, if you don't 'feel' it, don't do it. Nothing sounds worse than faked/forced syncopation. Anyhow, that's a really long-winded and roundabout way of saying I really liked it (as I do with most all of Don's work, and I am not even a big Country fan - except Willie, of course smile ). I think for me, it's because it sounds so 'professional' and I like all kinds of music IF IT'S DONE WELL.

Nice job Don, and I rarely say that unless I mean it.

chas

It helps to make mistakes if you want it to sound authentic, and I'm an expert at making mistakes. It's all in how you cover 'em up! smile
Actually Chas, you are exactly right, and I do try to make it not sound like an arranger, though I don't always succeed.
I'm getting really close to having a new-to-me blues song ready for public exposure. The whole challenge is to get "the feel".