The only reason I'm not playing out is I am no longer physically capable. Too many body parts are shot to Hell, but I still play at home just about ever night. Today, the keyboard goes into the shop for an on/off switch replacement, and if I were still playing out, they would repair it while I wait. Now, they say it will take about a week or two to get the parts and make the repairs.

When I was working, I pretty much was able to work anywhere, nite clubs, bars, restaurants, nursing homes, assisted living centers, retirement communities, animal clubs, American Legions, VFWs, Amvets, corporate parties, private parties, pool parties, grand openings for stores, coffee shops, living room parties, the list is essentially endless.

Now, in order to get all these jobs, you have to promote yourself. You have to hit the bricks, put together an ad package, and become a PR person for your entertainment package. The vast majority of musicians CANNOT do this. Yes, you can be a great musician, maybe the best in your part of the world, but if you cannot sell yourself forget playing out let along making enough money to make a living and support our family.

Next comes diversity. As Paul said, you must be able to read the audience. Again, must musicians CANNOT! Do doubt in my mind. They tend to play the kind and genre of music they enjoy, which more often than not is what the audience wants to hear. Kinda like the DJ that does a wedding reception job and fires up with the latest hip-hop and rap music when 95 percent of the audience is over 65 years of age. I do not agree with Donny about the nursing homes being filled with hip-hop and rap fans during our lifetimes - it ain't gonna happen!

During the final years of my musical career, particularly the final decade, I worked an average of 350 to 450 jobs a year. I was always booked a year in advance, did a fair number of doubles, an occasional triple, yet still found time to take my wife and children fishing, sailing and participate in other activities involving the entire family. This is an important aspect of life, at least from my point of view.

As for why most forum members are not on stage - well, it requires a lot of work to do this full time, which is not something that everyone wants to do, especially when they already have a full time job. Granted, it was always a lot of fun being an entertainer, again, something most musicians are not. They may be great musicians, but there's a big difference between a great entertainer and a great musician.

I spent the last two decades doing the senior circuit pretty much full time. Why? Well, that's where the money was. It provided the highest hourly pay rate, you played in the middle of the day, thus avoiding rush hour traffic, you could pick the number of days you wanted to play, book the jobs up to a year in advance, usually only had to work just an hour a day for the same pay the clubs and restaurants paid for 4 hours, and the audiences were wonderful. I would often play a 1 p.m. job, then pick up the wife and kids and be on the water sailing or fishing at 3 p.m. the same day. What's not to like about a job like this.

Unfortunately, I guess I rode this old horse a bit too hard and put him away wet a few too many times. But, I made it to age 76 before health issues forced me to hang it up, reluctantly. During that 30 plus years I was full time on stage, I did have the forethought to set up 3 retirement programs, did not spend huge sums of money purchasing gear and ran my musical career like a small business. That said, I often look back and wish I could have continued until I dropped dead on the job.

So if you do not play out, even one night a week, enjoy playing at home or wherever you play your arranger keyboard. Playing out is a JOB!

Sorry about the rant, but I'm old and cantankerous, wink

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (02/04/20 09:25 AM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)