Originally Posted By cgiles
Gary, first of all, NICE JOB. Secondly, the whole Eb thing was sort of a joke (poking fun at Yamaha) because Eb IS the original key, but everyone is right; keys don't mean squat to a vocalist. A vocalist sings where it's comfortable, key be damned. It's up to the musician to accommodate the vocalist - no if, ands, or buts. Errol Garner, the composer, wrote it in Eb, Groove Holmes, who had a minor 'cross the tracks' hit with it and all jazz organists, including Joey D, since then usually do some minor variation of his (Groove's) take on it. Too lazy to look it up but check out Groove's version on YouTube (Richard 'Groove' Holmes). That's pretty much the way I do it (and the way most people expect it in jazz clubs). I think Johnny Mathis probably had the biggest hit of it and probably the version most suitable for a retirement-age audience. Glad to see more 'Zoners' airing out these 'oldies-but-goodies'. BTW, keep a bed open for me as I might be moving in with you until after the Superbowl (unless the Ravens do a total collapse) smile. I don't eat much.

chas

Ooh!Ooh! Ooh! You forgot Ray Stephens , was his a one chord country version. Haha
Only kidding.

I loved Johnny Mathis version, wow I was retired at 7. Haha
Actually love Mathis songs in general.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022