Hi All:

I been downloading and playing back the KN6xk and KN7k recorded songs by the talented people here on the forum. All are really wonderful, interesting techniques used, and the playing style. Most have KN's, and I really wish I could share my songs, but unfortunately the KN is not compatible with the PR model (from PR to KN). I even made a stab at going the NX route only to discover the APC to SMF convert only converts the APC part and ignores the R1, R2 and Left (why have it). So I'll contribute with tips and hope this will be beneficial.

BACKGROUND INFO:
I noticed most players will use the pre-built rhythm patterns of the KN's, and stick with the original location. Do you know how Technics handles these types of saves? It actually doesn't save that rhythm pattern, but the location, via panel memory or current memory. This is great when playing back on the same exact model. Technics changes these pre-built rhythm patterns with every new model? Some patterns are entirely gone, others with minor changes, and completely new ones.

EXAMPLE:
Lets say you have a KN6000 and made a library of songs using the pre-built rhythm patterns and staying with the original location. You upgrade to the KN7000. Only to discover when playing back the songs, you do not have the same rhythm pattern, it's now using the closest match pre-built rhythm on the KN7000, it maybe better and may not. If you sold the KN6000 it would be hard to get that same "FEEL" back.

SOLUTIION:
With Technics instruments you must plan ahead. Just copy the pre-built rhythm patterns that you are going to use in the composer memory using "composer pattern copy" and setup your style of playing as usual, but point to composer memory. Remember when saving, include composer. When played back on a KN7000 it will use the composer memory and the original rhythm pattern and the feel of the song will be intact.

Note: KN7000 owners, something to think about if you plan on upgrading to the next model.

Comments and feedback welcome. But please be gentle...

Anthony