Already a long list of responses to BEBOP's question and here added is mine, if anyone gets down this far in the list! (Maybe this response will be "the last Rose of summer"?

Anyway, some of you already know that this Rose is a late bloomer, and I have only been playing keyboard for less than 10 years. It came about when a local piano/organ dealer offered a free introductory course in organ playing instruction for seniors, even those with no previous knowledge of music. Hmmmm, sounded like me and I was looking for a hobby/project as I adjusted to retirement. I signed up for the course and enjoyed it, but it didn't take long for me to realize I would probably never be able to learn to play the organ, and anyway, my wife wasn't about to let me move such a big instrument into our small condominium. So, a potential organ buyer I was not! But one day, there in the store, was a Technics 5000, beckoning to me. The dealer suggested I try it out; I did, and I was hooked. The wonderful easy play features, setups, etc. were great and, once I got it home, I found I was able to concentrate on learning to play. Before long, I discovered a magic gift that apparently I have had for years and never developed, namely the ability to play "by ear". Chords just seemed to come without rhyme or reason and, as I progressed, I became comfortable in more than one key. Now I feel rather adept (in all modesty) playing in C, F, Eb, Ab. At the organ store one day, the 6000 arrived. It seemed to do so much more and was so much more advanced, I was enthralled. But I wasn't sure I wanted to invest in another instrument after having the 5000 for just a few years. But a little while later, the 6500 came into the shop and that was a sign! It didn't take long for me to succumb and one fine day the 6500 came home. I was then sure I had found the final keyboard for me. How dare Technics come out with the 7000, so streamlined, so gleaming, so exciting to look at and hear! When a buyer made me "an offer I couldn't refuse" for my 6500 and I was able to negotiate a fine deal on the 7000 last November, I was the proud owner of the 7000 before Christmas last year. Will I move up again??? Who knows!

So, there is my tale. If you got this far, I compliment you and thank you for listening. (My wife is right; I sure am verbose!)

Ted Rose

[This message has been edited by Ted Rose (edited 07-06-2003).]