My hair actually turned snow white when I was just 35 years of age and endured a very traumatic and painful injury that left me paralyzed from the waist down for 5 months. I spent 3 weeks in the hospital and the next 5 months was spent learning how to walk again, something the surgeon said was a 50/50 shot at best. I got lucky.

It was about a decade later when I decided to go full time into music, something I always dreamed of doing. Many of the ADs I approached said they would call me if something came up. Others hired me more or less to provide them with an audition, which 99 percent of the time, turned into a full time job.

One of the AD's, who later became a good friend, said to me about a year after she hired me "You know, when we first met, I thought you were much older because of the white hair." I explained to her what happened, and she said, "maybe you should try dying your hair - it would shave 10 to 20 years off your appearance." She was right. A few weeks after dying my hair to the same color it was when I was just 30 years old, I returned to many of the ADs that never called, and essentially turned me down for a job. All but one hired me on the spot! The one that did not hire me called me a few months later to do a special party and after the party booked me once a month for the next two years. I sincerely believe they did not recognize me with medium brown hair. Yes, appearance does count, and age discrimination does exist - no doubt about it.

Now that I am fully retired, when I look in the mirror in the morning, there's a white haired old man looking back at me. Even now, though, I have thought about spending $7.95 at the local Rite Aid and picking up the dye. Just might do it to see of the lady that cuts my hair notices. Could be interesting. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)