Hi - interesting topic ... for me, it depends on the gig also. For most Retirement Community (senior) type gigs, they want it "concert style", so I do some talking between songs. I'd say it comes out to 10-15% talking, and 85-90% music. I've been told be many that they like hearing a bit of interesting info about the songs, the music, etc., and I'm always asked to come back. What I don't do is tell "one-liners" or jokes ... my personality just doesn't work for that ... but sometimes I do find interesting info to tell them, that does give them a "chuckle" now and then. I usually play 2 or 3 songs as medleys, then do some talking, then another 2-3 songs etc. I take requests, do sing-alongs etc., which breaks it up to give them something different (depending on the gig and audience of course).

If it's a background-music gig, no talking. If it's a dance, very little talking. But if it's one of my typical "mini-concert-style" jobs, I do a bit of talking.

Jim