Hi Bill:

Thanks for "chiming-in!" You are 100% correct. Always crawl before attempting to "walk!" The "net" is full of ways and alternatives for accomplishing the acquisition, familiarization and actual usage of all the many variations of Linux.

I tried "Red Hat" years ago and within 30 days... walked away from it. I'm not a programmer or code-man. I am a "user" only of any operating system. The Graphical User Interface of "MINT" is the key to "launching this puppy" IMHO. Most of the guys and gals here must own 3 or 4 keyboards costing thousands more than a PC.

I would not be surprised if many already own as many PC's as I do. Take one completely off-line, remove any software, programs or records you need to keep... then wipe that sucker clean. (You can get that free, too.) Then install "MINT" and learn the "ropes." Once you are satisfied, start using it by taking baby steps. Get comfortable with it... then bring it "on-line."

Before doing anything... do a little research. Read about what others have done, their failures and successes.

Best wishes for a smooth transition if you give it a try. It isn't "Rocket Science."