Originally Posted By Fran Carango
Chas, maybe you just own the wrong arranger keyboards grin

Or you are stuck on the stigma of arranger keyboards confused

Fact is the arranger keyboard is a tool with different features for different types of players..

My "instrument" choice is the Roland G70 for many reasons... I will try to explain why.

First the quality of the sounds equal the dedicated instruments you mentioned or own..
The piano is as good as they get,,, I have decent Rhodes . . and a decent drawbar organ.. Thus the G70 replacing all those instruments..

I do not rely on "styles", yet the G70 is perfect for my playing interest..

I can split and layer my sounds as I want... and easily saved..

I have what many consider the best key feel.. and 76 notes to play on..

What ever I would need a "workstation" for... I can use the G70 .. primarily the sequencer and effects..

I can mute enough of my styles to give me a better foundation for a project..

The G70 makes a great drum machine..

A very nice mic input with effects and harmonizer .. if and when I want one..

All from one instrument.... this is why I like and use arrangers... not for auto play.. but all my needs..

Yes I do like and use SMF play... when I want... actually prefer SMF over style.. But I don't have to rely on it..

I have a radio in my car, but
I don't have to listen to "rap".... I can listen to oldies instead... You get my point..

Just because they are called arrangers doesn't mean you can't use them as go to instruments..

Very well said Fran.
I am not sure why people feel the need to defend playing an arranger.
I only had once someone come up and say: So, you are only pushing buttons.
Didn't bother me. Some ignorant person. I asked if they would like to sit down and show me how to push just buttons.
That took care of that.
Most of the time people come up to me and say: Wow I did not know that you can do all that with just a KB smile
Anyways. I enjoy the hell out of playing an arranger and couldn't care less what others think.
My audience and I are having a great time. That's all it matters keys

Eric