....playing an arranger keyboard....especially on a paying gig? I didn't want to drag Bernie's post 'southward' so I started a new thread. Posts constantly pop up by people aggressively defending using an arranger on stage and/or playing over midi files. There is always a great emphasis on the extent to which they will go to make sure the audience knows that they're 'playing' and not just doing a karaoke act. The question is, WHY? The only thing I can think of is that somehow, way down deep in the subconscious, they are concerned about maybe not being respected as legitimate musicians. The reality is, WHO CARES? Usually only the musician themselves. What is important is the skill you bring to the performance, instrument be damned. Nobody gives a crap what Marco Parisi is playing; they're too busy watching him play.

Here's the thing; there's no stigma attached to the guys that can play, just the guys that suck. WHAT they're playing is an afterthought (in both cases). My own feeling is that if you're using an arranger kb on a professional level, you should be able to play at least one regular instrument (piano, organ, guitar, sax....doesn't matter). I'd give a pass to someone who was an exceptionally strong vocalist. But then, why fake it with a keyboard when you'd probably sound much better with backing tracks (midi or audio). Does having the keyboard make it easier to book gigs? Is it all about image. Of the videos I've seen of Nursing Home gigs, with all due respect, most would sound pretty much the same whether it was done with a PA80 or a PA4x, or a PSR3000 or a Genos. When those strings and horns and drums all start playing simultaneously, and the audience thinks it's all coming from you, you aren't playing in a Nursing home, you're playing in a Mental Retardation facility.

I'm not making any judgements here or even trying to make a point, but $5K is a lot of money to pay for something that has pretty much the same functionality (GIG WISE) as a good MP3/MIDI player. Just musing.

chas