My main reasons for using mac is logic x and mainstage, they are not available on windows..

A reason for using windows would be varranger. Or the huge amount of freely available programs for Yamaha

Next to that the strength of mac osx is in its real time kernel, where audio processing algorythms are part of the kernel... also there are no hardware compatibillity issues with macs. The overall user experience on a mac is much more fluent then on windows.. everything allways seems to work straight out of the box...

Windows has as an advantage that you can make all hardware in the end work with windows 10, some hardware just does not support mac drivers... altough keep in mind to that this hardware is often obscure and not seldom witouth troubles.. the strength of windows, allowing for custom builds is also its weakness as it has to support all the different hardware, where mac just supports the limited hardware used in their models.

It used to be possible to upgrade your mac yourself with extra memmory or ssd’s. This is not possible anymore, as everything now is soldered to the mainboards.. if i wanted a real powerhorse, i could build a hackintosh, which works just as good as an apple build mac.. and since your apple account works on them just fine, these are an option if the price of a mac is to high for you, yet you want to run mac osx and dedicated mac software.. just google tonymac if you want to know more about this..

My choice for Mac is mostly based on the extremely good user experience i have had over the years with it, not just for making music.. also with an ict background, its possible to get most of the window apps working under mac.. my current macbook is a 2011 build, and still feels fresh and new both the software as its physical looks.. and there even is a reasonable price paid for it on the 2nd hand market.. this and the kow price of logic my main Daw warrants the high price i payed for the macbook in 2011, which was €1600 at that time..

Will i stick to mac? Probably yes... the only reason i can think of for moving to windows is transforming my whole setup to Varranger... but i dont think thats very likely any time soon... just the sheer amount of work of registering all my software from mac to windows is enough to keep me away from that idea..

Edited by Bachus (12/31/17 08:29 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net