Originally Posted By montunoman
The ability to swing or groove is a natural talent but I think the environment which one grows up in plays a huge factor. Just imagine if you were adopted as an infant by the Marsalis family. Having parents that were master musicians, a healthy musical sibling rivalry, and growing in musically rich community like New Orleans would greatly affect your groove. Sure, you wouldn’t the Marsalis “talent” genes but growing up in that kind environment sure wouldn’t hurt.

I think you're right. Growing up in a musical environment where 'groove' ie. 'syncopated rhythms' is an integral (and common) part of the dominant music scene, is definately going to give you a leg up on playing certain types of music. I think this exists in predominately Black communities with it's heavy influences of Gospel, R&B, Blues, Rap, etc. I think it also exists in Latino communities, as some of the tightest, most rhythmic music I've ever heard were from groups like Santana which has always had the best rhythm section on the planet (even if it was augmented by the great Chester Thompson smile ). Even so, environment or not, when it's that good, as Montunoman says, some of it has got to be in the genes.

Disclaimer: You don't HAVE to be Black or Latino to have that 'grove gene'. There are millions of exceptions; this young lady is one of them. Interesting that she has chosen this genre' of music to display her talents (as opposed to say, Rock - although I'm sure she'd be 'killer' in any genre'.).

chas