For the most part, at least with Yamaha, they have already done the creative work when it comes to their onboard sounds/voices. The breath sounds with the sax's trumpets, fingering sounds with many of the guitars, etc... I love what I hear, but there are times when I wanted just a bit more, which is when I went too the onboard sound creator program and began to experiment. This solved the problem of the thin sounding ground piano sound when the Yamaha grand piano was played using a mono PA system. I uploaded that sound to the PSR Tutorial site many years ago and it has been downloaded thousands of times. Users claim it is their go to piano voice for most of their music.

While some players only use 10 to 12 voices and styles at most, in contrast, some of us, including myself, use hundreds of styles and voices, mainly for diversity so every song doesn't sound like the last song performed. Keep in mind this is why a lot of the have guitar will travel performers in the Florida Keys and other parts of the nation don't get a lot of repeat work and paid $50 a night for a 4 hour performance. Diversity is why I love the keyboards and diversity is why keyboard players can appear to any audience.

All the best,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)