Chas has a valid observation, I think, not just about keyboards. I make my living in commercial recording, live performance, publishing, video production, still photography and creation of various electronic media productions.

Literally everything I do involves the use of tools that have become increasingly more "automated", so to speak. The portastudio I use for roughs almost runs itself. If I want Steely Dan's mix from Cousin Dupree, it's available. Cameras not only can be set to auto focus, but to default to certain speeds, ASA settings, depth of field and more.

The parallel to arranger keyboards is eerie.

But, guess what? Someone has to input the information. Bad players don't sound as good as good players on arrangers or anything else. The photos from a home shooter won't be as good as those from a seasoned pro.

And on and on.

Things are so complex that, if I took the time to learn everything I need to know to get the most out of the equipment I use, I'd have no time to work.

Lots of people have been afraid of 'losing it" to technology and automation. Even in the late 80's a jungle package around here cost a minimum of $3500.00. Then, people with a $500.00 "all in one" began offering a similar product for $500.00. Lots of my friends were worried.

Same thing with desk top publishing. All of a sudden, IT people became designers.....NOT!

Again, what I always say is use technology (arrangers, auto focus cameras, harmonizers, etc.)as tool, not crutches.

The good news: I never lost a dollar of business to anyone due to a technology issue.

Good topic, Chas.

Edited by captain Russ (09/15/17 10:09 AM)