Everyone knows about rotator cuff injuries but I wonder how many of us know how the rotator cuff can be damaged by how we sit at our keyboards. Yes, it is true! I am currently undergoing therapy for a very painful rotator cuff. Unlike injuries, which often result in serious tears and painful recovery from surgery, the damaged caused by how we sit at our keyboards has to do with poor posture and slumping shoulders and the long term effect on the shoulder blade muscles that keep the rotator cuff in proper position. I don't know how all this happens but as the therapist explained it to me it takes a bit of time for the muscles to reach a point where they don't properly support the rotator cuff functions. The best protection is to make sure you are not slumping your shoulders while sitting at your keyboard or while doing other daily activities and if possible doing exercises which strengthen the shoulder blade muscles. I'm sure there is more to this but I thought it an interesting topic worth posting.

Deane