Originally Posted By: mirza
If these kind of sounds you need and it is just at home or studio, why even bother with any of these workstations? VSTs are at least 100x better for strings or orchestra sounds. Workstation keyboards don't even come close.
I know there is a hustle setting up everything, but you do it once and you are set for a long time.

The reasons I don't get into VSTs are;

1) I don't have a technical mind. I just don't understand computers, software, etc......and I'm not interested in learning those things. It's a miracle I can even surf the internet. smile

2) I don't want to make music on a computer, or stare at a computer screen.

3) I read there is latency with VSTs. When I go from one sound to the next, I don't want to have to wait a few seconds for the new sound to kick in.

4) I would have to buy another computer dedicated to the VSTs. I don't have a tablet or anything like that.

5) From what I've heard, top workstations and arrangers sound very good, and everything is built in. The sounds are ready to play, with reverb, chorus, etc. With software, you need to buy effects and apply them. It's a hassle.

When I hear certain VSTs, like EastWest or Garritan, I drool over the orchestral sounds. I wish keyboards would come with that kind of realism. That's why I look forward to hearing new keyboards. I want to see if their orchestral sounds are getting closer to VSTs.

I guess the way I explained the above points may be laughable to some, but I really don't know technical terms. I'm sure my objections can be answered, but just the idea of making music on a computer is a turn off.

I've looked at Musebox, Receptor and other recent VST hosts, but in the end, it seems I prefer a good workstation/arranger.

Any thoughts would be welcome. Maybe I'm missing something (probably in my head!) smile