Everyone knows that I have a love-hate relationship with arrangers.

Yes, I use them when they are appropriate for the job (about 25% of the time).

No, they are not the instruments of choice, for me.

Thing is, Jazz players play off of each other. When you reach that wonderful state where you're sharing unspoken ideas, the result can often be mind-blowing.

The section backs the soloist and makes small but "mighty" adjustments in response to the ideas coming from the soloist.

As a guitar player, I love to switch from playing section inspired lead to a comping mode which reflects what's being played by others.

That can't happen with an arranger. So, I don't use an arranger on those kinds of jobs.

Best use for me is left handed bass, using the internal drums and programmed drum breaks activated by a pedal.

One rule I have is NEVER use a sequence by choice. That's MY RULE, and I've never done it...never will. Also, I think a laptop on stage looks as tacky as a tip jar, and will NEVER use either. Also, I NEVER play nursing homes, but that's a different story....different topic altogether.

But that's just me. What's important is to develop your plan, develop the necessary skills and JUST DO IT!

Believe me, a 6 figure income is way easier than some think if the approach, dedication and abilities are there.

Russ