Just to add my two cents in regards to the last few posts. I am now retired from organist and working with choirs and congregations. I occasionally fill in or play the odd Wedding, a Funeral or Memorial Service.

Two main reasons why a congregation may sing slow or appear to lag behind your playing or lead singing. If the congregation was used to a previous musician (keyboard/organist) that generally played slower or dragged the music. There is a difference between dragging a piece and giving specific reverence to a suitable song. It may take weeks to months for a congregation to respond to a new musician that keeps a more upbeat tempo. A good soloist singer that can keep in timing with the keyboard or guitar is a must as well.

Depending on the size of the church or place of worship and where the keyboard player is located, a lot can happen acoustically as far as sound time delays. When I was training as organist you always hear the congregation a second or so behind your playing. By the time the congregation hears a note you play, their response and the time you hear their singing, you can actually be playing one note ahead of them. If not prepared, the natural tendency is to slow down your playing, thinking the congregation has to catch up, but in most cases isn't the issue. Select your tempo, and keep within it. Occasionally playing staccato can help urge a congregation back on tempo during appropriate sections of a song.

While organ and piano are great with traditional worship hymns or songs, the newer arranger keyboards can really fit the bill for the newer contemporary songs and arrangements. Keeping with traditional instruments or some orchestral sounds and voices, proper reverence can be made to the worship setting.

For me, a full featured TOTL arranger like the Korg PA4X can help my arrangements whenever I would use my arranger keyboard for congregational singing, for both traditional organ and piano, but also up to full orchestral arrangements for the newer contemporary song pieces. Even though I would probably be right at home after learning the Korg OS, I presently use my Tyros 5.

Most contemporary worship songs lean even better to an arranger keyboard, especially if you are the solo musician. I find with a tasteful drum kit and rhythm track, a congregation will follow your keyboard playing better on an arranger keyboard then perhaps playing just the organ or piano arrangement. The more real or authentic the arrangement sounds, the congregation loves to respond.

Personally, I am not a fan of electric guitars or rock type music for this purpose, but maybe there are the occasional purpose that type of sound. Maybe it works for certain situations, but I think not suitable for worship. Maybe in the same way, some people will only insist on only using the traditional organ or piano. Some denominations don't even allow musical instruments.

Anyway, I am a big supporter for arranger keyboards, done correctly, for worship music. The Korg PA4X would not disappoint.

Marcus