Hi Roger,
Thank-you for the prompt reply.
I do recall doing an OS upgrade but several years ago and the KN5000 has spent a lot of its life in storage since then.However, as recently as 3 months ago I powered up and played the KN and it worked perfectly.
I tend to agree with you that the OS needs upgrading.You have obviously encountered this "Sound Naming" problem before. I have misplaced the two discs which make up the upgrade.Do you know where I can purchase the latest upgrade?
When the KN5000 first failed to operate I contacted a Mike BARDEN (Technics tech)in the UK. He had not encountered the problem before with the KN5000 but suggested that the problem could be with the Main Board CPU.He can repair the unit if this is the problem.If he can't fix it Panasonic will swap the unit 1 for one.A potentially expensive exercise.New Main Board costs GBP350. To initiate ANY repairs I would have to de-install the Board and send it to UK.Before I do this I must explore the option of OS failure being the problem cause.

I would be most grateful if you can advise where I can purchase the current OS Upgrade software (Neil Blake maybe?)

Thank-you once again

Regards

Chris