Basically, I used unedited factory styles when demoing the instrument at Yamaha clinics/demos, but I also did extra clinics on style editing, which is pretty straightforward and even rank beginners can have fun customizing styles.

For my own stuff, I use heavily edited styles, usually based on Yamaha factory styles. PSR Tutorial has all kinds of free downloads of styles taken from the older and newer PSR, Tyros and CVP so it's a great resource, and a fine place to start.

I generally edit the three intros so that intro one becomes a one bar stop/fill, and intros two and three are generally eight bars long and reprogrammed to allow me to play chords so they can be either extra Variations or Intros depending on what I need.

So, to answer the initial question, I rarely use song specific styles and, if I do, they are usually ones I have further edited to put my own stamp on the tune.

I enjoy playing tunes in alternate genres, but I also try to keep them recognizable to the average listener (i.e. I play Sting's Fields of Gold as a medium Country Ballad).

Many of my styles were created on the earlier instruments I used (or owned) so I re-edit/update them as necessary to suit my current arranger, which is a Tyros4.

Styles are a crucial part of what I do, and, I don't just use them to color my songs; like Dave Rice above, I often use them to create original compositions.

I've never considered using styles as a crutch...they're part of the art.

Ian