Although I don't come from a musical family, I do come from a family of music lovers. My dad would always play all the great American song book standards and my mom would play a lot of great Latin music. I'm the youngest in the family so I would hear what my brothers and cousins listened to: What we now call classic rock.

As a little kid I fell in love with the drums after seeing all the marching bands at Rose Parade in Pasadena Ca. My parents stared to take me to see Buddy Rich, Tito Puente, Poncho Sanchez, Louie Bellson, and any other noteworthy drummer they could find that was in town. What cool parents!

I eventually got some drums when I was around ten and put on some head phones on and just tried my best to play along to all sorts’ records that were around the house. Rock, big band, symphonic…. I don’t think I had any real natural talent, I must have sounded horrible but my folks NEVER complained. I told you they were great!

I had buddies in middle school that were stating up an original punk rock band. We had a blast jamming. I remember just pounding on those drums tell my hands would bleed! Awful, ugly, loud “music” with screaming for vocals. Even for that style of music, we must have sucked, but we had so much fun! The only place we could play was in my parents garage but the others kids parents could not stand our “music” I’m sure my parents weren’t that into it but they still were supportive.

My dad would look at my bleeding and blistered hands and he would say “ Buddy, Gene, and Louie’s hands never bleed. Maybe you need to learn how hold the sticks” So he sent me to take lessons with this hard core, disciplinarian, drum guru.

All through high school and college (where I majored in music) I played drums and percussion in just about all the ensembles. I think I must have played just about all the styles that you’ll come across in the States. All sorts rock bands, musical theater, symphonic, big band, all sorts Latin and some C&W too.

Playing arranger KB has let me put all my experience to good use. Currently I do mostly solo and a Latin/variety act with my lovely wife of 18 years.

Great thing about music, is there is always something new to learn. I can’t say I’ve mastered any one instrument but here’s what I’ve tried and still work: piano, arranger KB, guitar, voice, harmonica, drums, Latin percussion, symphonic percussion, Mallet percussion. There’s always something to work on!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache