Can you recommend a good book or selfhelp web site, on the study of recording. I need a book that is low on Hype, yet, abundant with facts and 1, 2, 3, steps. Most so-called training manuals use the term " you easily do" but they never tell you how to do, at least not without a lot of unnecessary anectdotes.

Quote:
Originally posted by Munsie:
I don't use this device but I had similar problems in my digital home studio until I realized:

a) Use hardly no reverb at all, if you have to use it, only apply it when 100% needed,slightly on vocals, effects, leads, etc. Reverb pushes things "backwards" in the mix. Compare the rythm section with reverb and no reverb. You'll realize how much "in your face" it is with no reverb.

b) Keep your mix hot! Record each track as hot (loud) as you can, and then mix accordingly for the master.

c) Compression, this is indeed the secret. Too much to explain here, research on compression, especially on drums,bass,vocals.

With today's tools it is INDEED possible to create "real studio" quality tracks at home, but I'd say 80% of the studio sound is in the mixing end of things.

------------------