How can I compare to a Studio recorded CD?

Posted by: Anonymous

How can I compare to a Studio recorded CD? - 10/09/01 08:29 PM

I have just completed a song that I wrote using the VS880EX from Roland. I am dissapointed with the quality when comparing it to a commercial CD. Why does my recording sound like it's so far in the background when I compare it to a commercial CD. Can I accomplish the same sound results with my VS880EX? Does this have to do with my recording technique or is it just not possible to have the same results as a store bought CD? Fill me in someone.
Posted by: Munsie

Re: How can I compare to a Studio recorded CD? - 10/14/01 05:09 AM

I don't use this device but I had similar problems in my digital home studio until I realized:

a) Use hardly no reverb at all, if you have to use it, only apply it when 100% needed,slightly on vocals, effects, leads, etc. Reverb pushes things "backwards" in the mix. Compare the rythm section with reverb and no reverb. You'll realize how much "in your face" it is with no reverb.

b) Keep your mix hot! Record each track as hot (loud) as you can, and then mix accordingly for the master.

c) Compression, this is indeed the secret. Too much to explain here, research on compression, especially on drums,bass,vocals.

With today's tools it is INDEED possible to create "real studio" quality tracks at home, but I'd say 80% of the studio sound is in the mixing end of things.
Posted by: eltontom

Re: How can I compare to a Studio recorded CD? - 11/23/01 03:45 AM

i agree with you in all terms... but pay more atention to the recording-session. what about mics and rooms? well, it doesn't matter if you record your stuff in the bathroom if you like the sound, but the right microphone-technique, the right microphone for your task and the knowledge of room-acoustics is most important. there's no way to cut out unwanted "room" from your recorded track for example. ... the microphone - that's where you get your sound in acoustic-recordings!

greets tom
Posted by: FAEbGBD

Re: How can I compare to a Studio recorded CD? - 11/24/01 01:25 AM

Here are some good links to read http://www.studiocovers.com/articles.htm http://www.recording.s5.com/index.html www.prorec.com

Also hang out at www.homerecording.com.

I just thought I would throw these in. I've got lots of good info from these pages, including making hot CDs.

Re: How can I compare to a Studio recorded CD? - 11/24/01 10:02 AM

Take one CD that is similar to your style of music and listen to it onto your studio monitors, compare it to what you do. Try to come close to what you hear. Taste & ears are best thing to have in studio!!!

Re: How can I compare to a Studio recorded CD? - 11/27/01 11:15 PM

Can you recommend a good book or selfhelp web site, on the study of recording. I need a book that is low on Hype, yet, abundant with facts and 1, 2, 3, steps. Most so-called training manuals use the term " you easily do" but they never tell you how to do, at least not without a lot of unnecessary anectdotes.

Quote:
Originally posted by Munsie:
I don't use this device but I had similar problems in my digital home studio until I realized:

a) Use hardly no reverb at all, if you have to use it, only apply it when 100% needed,slightly on vocals, effects, leads, etc. Reverb pushes things "backwards" in the mix. Compare the rythm section with reverb and no reverb. You'll realize how much "in your face" it is with no reverb.

b) Keep your mix hot! Record each track as hot (loud) as you can, and then mix accordingly for the master.

c) Compression, this is indeed the secret. Too much to explain here, research on compression, especially on drums,bass,vocals.

With today's tools it is INDEED possible to create "real studio" quality tracks at home, but I'd say 80% of the studio sound is in the mixing end of things.

------------------
Posted by: ViLo

Re: How can I compare to a Studio recorded CD? - 12/13/01 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tleddon:
I have just completed a song that I wrote using the VS880EX from Roland. I am dissapointed with the quality when comparing it to a commercial CD. Why does my recording sound like it's so far in the background when I compare it to a commercial CD. Can I accomplish the same sound results with my VS880EX? Does this have to do with my recording technique or is it just not possible to have the same results as a store bought CD? Fill me in someone.

That's call mastering my friend, but the first thing you need to do is record with good volume, and to be able to make it sound like a commercial CD you have to use more than your Roland. I have the same problem with my AKAI DPS16, I can get very good results using the normalaizer in my machine, but to make it sound like a commercial CD I repeat, mastering is the solution either done by you[with the rigth equipment] or by a masteirng eng.

------------------
Posted by: stillme

Re: How can I compare to a Studio recorded CD? - 12/19/01 08:29 AM

Hey,
A big thing is the type of mics you buy. They sell mics that record all in one direction, or that will pick up things in the whole room. They have specific instrument recording mics. IN this book, "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording : How to Make ... by Peter McLan; Larry Wichman", you'll learn a lot! You can get it at borders books, where I got it...or try looking on Yahoo shopping - books. It has a whole chapter on miking techniques. It also has diagrams of the recording directions that mics pick up...such as omni-directional, etc...I spent a couple of months studying this book in the summer of last year. It was VERY helpful.
Another cool thing in this book is the section on equalizers. It tells you what levels to turn down if your sound is too muddy, or too canny sounding... it was a great book. I recommend it.

-Tracey