Originally Posted By: Nigel
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
Wow Ian...the beauty of the TR-707 was ..programmable..

Yes, that's true, Fran, but at the time I was just not willing to put the time in on it...if I remember correctly, it had some sort of matrix display for programming the drum hits per measure.
Ian

Well the matrix was to program a 1 measure pattern then for the song you would simply make a pattern list. It was very simple to program actually. I still like that matrix interface. It was much the same with the TR-808 as well only it was analog not digital.

Yep, I remember the way it was set up. Actually, a pretty cool idea.

However, it didn't work as well with the DX-7II's sequencer as did the Yamaha RX, and time was of the essence, so we didn't hold on to it.

One of the trios I played in, bass, keys, guitar, used a CR-series drummer, that was operated by the bass player using footswitches. It was a great rig indeed.

Now the TR-808's drums are available on most any arranger, as well as VST's, although some purists have to use the real deal.

It is a similar sitsu to the Roland TB-303 bass module...in fact, they were often used together.

Both worth more than a few bucks today in good condition.

Ian