The 808 was THE sound of rap and hiphop, D&B and much early synthpop. And, being analog, allowed a fair degree of manipulation of each sound it made, something the 'digital' recreations can't really do.

Hence the fawning reverence for it. Roland didn't make that many, and many got tossed when newer beat-boxes came out before the hiphop community adopted it and made it the de rigueur sound of rap and hiphop. So second hand value has skyrocketed.

But unless you are into rap and hiphop, it is a side note for the rest of us. Quickly ditched for the more realistic 909's and earlier 707's. And none of them made it to records as much as the LinnDrum, or the Oberheim DMX's, until the 909 became THE sound of house and new disco.

Me, I was always a fan of the Alesis HR-16's... But it's only nostalgia. I wouldn't trade any of them for my BK-9 now..! Short of audio loops (with all their inherent problems), it's the most realistic drums in any keyboard I have yet heard. And, being a Roland, it has enough 808, 909 and other retro beat-box sounds to allow you to cover those styles easily.