Originally Posted By: travlin'easy

You know, those drums really didn't sound any different now than they did back then. They were too loud 60 years ago and they're still too loud. Guess I'll stick with the keyboard's inadequate drums - they may be inadequate by YOUR standards, but they have the right volume, sound quality and everything is well balanced.

Gary, good points, indeed.

The facts are, Yamaha has increased features on each subsequent Tyros model by basically the same amount since the model name was introduced.

Why is this so new to some people?

Considering also, that each new Tyros model outsold the previous instrument, one could say that this type of marketing works quite well.

Certainly it is nothing new, if we look at the computer/software industry, and even the automobile manufacturers to name only two.

Korg does basically the same method, although, admittedly, they may make larger steps.

Definitely some of the self appointed armchair marketing wizards will disagree with these methods, but, as long as they continue to work well for these companies, we can expect it to continue.

In my opinion, the Tyros5 is meant to appeal to those with Tyros2 and T3...not necessarily Tyros4 users, although there will be some who have to have the latest and greatest...and can afford it as well.

Also, because each new Tyros (or PSR) iteration doesn't make the previous model obsolete, I’m sure there are more owners who are glad things are this way, than those who are not.

Certainly it appears that Yamaha is doing something right when we see they probably have the largest number of excellent, and very friendly, user/enthusiast sites for their arrangers. Korg also has a fine forum for their PA arrangers and, like Yamaha, continue to provide first-class help with those owning older instruments.

To sum up, no one is being forced to buy the latest and greatest just to sound groovy...witness the many happy owners of Tyros2/3 and PSR-3000/900/S910 and, and of course, Korg PA-2X/800/500.

Thankfully Korg and Yamaha both continue to produce and develop TOTL instruments, maintaining a healthy competition, which naturally benefits the arranger buyer/user.

Just my 2 cents. wink

Ian