Sunday, I worked a fundraiser for the nursing home patient advocacy group I'm associated with.

It was a trio job I agreed to do before a recent medical setback. My left arm and hand hurt like hell, but you know what? I felt GREAT when it was over. I played B-3 and jazz guitar...50/50. Had my grandson on drums and my son on bass when I was playing guitar. When I played B-3, my son switched to congas.

We raised over $30,000.00. One of the raffle items was a performance by the trio (using the old XB-2, instead of the B-3). The winning bid was $1750.00. I'll pay my "sidemen" out of my pocket.

Thing is, I'm so thankful that I've been around to play for so many years, and I'm NOT ready to quit.

Pain is a relative thing, offset by the pure pleasure of playing with my dear family for a good cause, and, after all these years, have people who will actually pay to listen!

A week ago, I was preparing for a future which did not include playing. Now, while I'll drop restaurants, I've added studio work, my overseas jobs, performances with the philharmonic and endorsement work for a guitar maker and an amplifier manufacturer.

I'll never be cured, but I'll adjust.

Music is just too important to me do do it any other way.

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (03/27/13 02:53 PM)