A successful fundraiser (and an update)!

Posted by: captain Russ

A successful fundraiser (and an update)! - 03/27/13 02:47 PM

Sunday, I worked a fundraiser for the nursing home patient advocacy group I'm associated with.

It was a trio job I agreed to do before a recent medical setback. My left arm and hand hurt like hell, but you know what? I felt GREAT when it was over. I played B-3 and jazz guitar...50/50. Had my grandson on drums and my son on bass when I was playing guitar. When I played B-3, my son switched to congas.

We raised over $30,000.00. One of the raffle items was a performance by the trio (using the old XB-2, instead of the B-3). The winning bid was $1750.00. I'll pay my "sidemen" out of my pocket.

Thing is, I'm so thankful that I've been around to play for so many years, and I'm NOT ready to quit.

Pain is a relative thing, offset by the pure pleasure of playing with my dear family for a good cause, and, after all these years, have people who will actually pay to listen!

A week ago, I was preparing for a future which did not include playing. Now, while I'll drop restaurants, I've added studio work, my overseas jobs, performances with the philharmonic and endorsement work for a guitar maker and an amplifier manufacturer.

I'll never be cured, but I'll adjust.

Music is just too important to me do do it any other way.

Russ

Posted by: Nigel

Re: A successful fundraiser (and an update)! - 03/27/13 10:59 PM

That's awesome Russ. I sorta knew you couldn't stop playing no matter how difficult it became.
Posted by: 124

Re: A successful fundraiser (and an update)! - 03/28/13 07:30 AM

Strength through adversity. Well done, Russ!
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: A successful fundraiser (and an update)! - 03/28/13 11:41 AM

That's great work, as usual Russ ...
When the music is in you, it is IN you ... and wants to keep coming out ...
rocker