Ah, the musician vs the entertainer issue. I'm NOT an entertainer...don't even try. But I certainly don't go without clothes or enough to eat.

It's all a question of degree. Looks like it is possible for an "entertainer" to work 300 one hour nursing home jobs a year and clear $30,000-40,000.00. That may be all the work one can handle in a year.

My residuals for my top 10 commercials are considerably more than that annually. Sound scores pay $1,000.00 a finished minute.

My 4 one week trips to Dubai pay almost 4 time that.

In my case, I have more brains than talent. I know how to get paid for work that I'm proud of.

In this area, the entertainers who do things like nursing homes are the bottom of the talent pool. They couldn't beg
a well paying dinner gig, spot as a feature with the Philharmonic or get hired for events, like the governors office, the president of fortune 500 companies or the like.

Top musicians work all the time and get paid well for the effort. Of course, they have to be more than adequate and have the skills to market their product.

And, if they're like me (not that I claim to be a top musician, like my friend Rory or others)they are less than amused at the so called entertainers who couldn't play their way out of a paper bag.

There's a pride and brotherhood among musicians. That unspoken communication when you're "trading fours" or sharing innovations on a lead line is rare....a life-changer.

Whether you're a musician or an entertainer (it's rare to find someone who is both), you need to do your job with a sense of "prideful accomplishment".

If you're a musical entertainer, at least learn to play in more than one key and learn more than simple three chord changes.

And, if you're a musician, realize that you have to be the top in your field to really do well.

Plus, always remember that the audience does not spend 10 hours a day listening and studying music like you do.

NEVER LOOK DOWN AT THOSE WHO PAY THE BILL. But, NEVER sell out (whatever that means to you).

Don't play yourself out of a job, Find some way to get paid for your talent other than playing live.

I respect good entertainers. I just don't ever want to be one.

Russ