Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
When you get older, hopefully, you get smarter. While that's not always the case, I would hope that is what I've experienced. I like my current setup better than any I've used or seen over the past several decades.

Last night I performed with several other musician/entertainers, they had wires running everywhere, some had traditional sound systems with big powered mixers and monster speakers, speaker and mic stands were all over the place, and you had to be real careful where you walked. I have one wire leading from my rig - it goes to the power outlet. Setup time is just 7 to 10 minutes, depending on whether or not I'm in a hurry, which is never these days. The other groups spent just over an hour setting up and doing constant sound checks. I NEVER will go back to the old days, and as for the nostalgic aspect - NAH! wink

Good Luck,

Gary cool

It seems that you missed the point. While we all think our "current" setup is the best I was just wondering what we really liked in the past, especially before arrangers. No, none of us miss the old stuff or we'd still be using it.
As far as the PA I still use a powered mixer/with speakers. A Bose Compact would never carry some of the gigs I do nor would I spend $1K on one. Maybe the guys you played with are in the same situation. Gotta be prepared for more than a Bose can cover. Thats a lot of cash for convience and limited situations.