Simply setting up an appropriate sound to play the MIDI call from the style is only, once again, the FIRST step... There is a fair bit of difference between the velocity curves on different manufacturer's arrangers, not to mention default basic volume. So THAT then needs tweaking.

Then take the fact that the velocity crossover points of samples used in drum sounds (the point at which a snare might move from stick tips to rim and skin, e.g.) and try to set your VSTi drum kit so the accent point matches (for each and every sound in the kit), and it's easy to see what a herculean task this is... Then multiply this against sounds like saxes, which may go from smooth to a growl at some random velocity point, or a guitar that adds a hammer-on somewhere on the velocity scale (but there is NO standardized x-over point!) and things get complicated.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but respect for the few that try to do all this, and I would SURE like to hear some of the results (along with an honest assessment of how long it took to tweak it that good) but I just think that the difficulties of this needs stressing before someone like Tony Hughes starts to think he might be able to do it! Not sure I could listen to a good couple of years of him complaining about it!

This is for experts ONLY!

One of the issues with Variations of Capitol sounds nowadays is, quite often they have very little to do with the Capitol sound. In with acoustic guitars are mandolins. In with strings are orchestras. Unless you have the arranger you are setting up for, you aren't going to be able to hear what the style was SUPPOSED to sound like. Especially the myriad different synth sounds in the upper banks. All utterly different from one manufacturer to another other than the Capitol sound and a few of the earliest legacy Variations.

So what sound do you end up picking? Sure, you could get a patchlist, but that's not going to help you a whole lot when you get to some of the names!

Now multiply that work for as many arrangers as you want to be able to play their styles on, and you start to see what you could be up against. Not for the faint of heart!