Well, I suppose whoever planned that event and invited him didn't research enough. Still, they SHOULD have.
It's a real tragedy that there is so much of both profanity and hatred in many of today's hits.
Last summer I was working at an outdoor patio at a restaurant and a family with several kids were there. It was late in the evening and not many people were still there. The kids requested a current song (I don't remember what it was now), so I found it on Youtube and started playing it for them. About 20 seconds into it the MFs and GDs started and I quickly turned it off.
The kids were up dancing to it, and their mother asked why I turned it off. I asked her if she had ever listened to the words, and of course she had not. I just told her that if she did she wouldn't want her kids to hear it. She thanked me and I got a nice tip to boot.
Anyway, DNJ, I didn't know about this guy's previous "work" either until the past few days. He said it was an emotional reaction. I would think that it would take at least a few days to write, record and produce a song, even one such as his with no melody. That would seem to be ample time for reflection.
I might accept his apology if I heard it in person, but I still wouldn't want anything to do with him or his music, or anyone else who obviously hates our country. I'm not a big enough person I guess.
DonM