I can also 'vouch' for the Ashampoo software. As Bill says it is very reliable burning both CDs and DVDs and the feature I like most, if you put in a wrong disc, it will tell you so.
Also, when copying/backing up to a disc, (particularly backup data discs), it will tell you how many discs you will need and suggest you identify them in some way before taking further action e.g. numbering them. I use this software regularly to backup my computer system.

Tony, I have successfully used Memorex and other makes of Audio discs in the past using my Sony CD Recorder/Player. Unfortunately, todays discs are 'geared' to doing everything on a computer and although my PC can be used this way, I find it much quicker and easier to use the Sony. I also think using the Sony produces a much better 'all-round' sound. On the odd occasion when I've used the PC, to me it sounds 'tinny' in comparison.

You have to remember that CD-RWs must be finalized before playing on a CD player and some of the older CD players are incompatible with them and therefore wont play at all. To get over this, just copy your finalized CD-RW to a CD-R, finalize it, and it will then play on any CD Player.

Audrey